Talk

Advanced search

pain in breast after feeding

(7 Posts)
littlealien01 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:27:34

My first couple of attempts at bf ing dd werent very successful and resulted in a very chewed left nipple, it has improved but still looks and feels sore amd cracked.

I am feeding on it, and except the initial latch it doesnt hurt (and the other breast is ok) so dont think its position but i am finding both breasts and the left one in particular really tender and sore, its not really nipple pain more a feeling of heat and general soreness but seems to be getting worse not better, ive wondered if its engorgement as sometimes it seems to be relieved if my boobs leak.

So 2 questions from this ramble
1. How long will it take my nipple to heal?
2. Any idea what the pain is?/if its normal or i should be worried?

Dd is 16 days old if thats relevant

Rhododendron Thu 13-Feb-14 18:30:41

The pain might be mastitis. If that gets infected you might need antibiotics. I would show it to a HV / bf counsellor / etc.

I found lanolin ointment helpful for cracked nipples. You put it on after feeding, and you don't need to write it off before the next.

Rhododendron Thu 13-Feb-14 18:31:59

Sorry, wipe not write!

BigW Thu 13-Feb-14 18:38:41

Rhod is right. Take your temperature, if it is raised you need to see a doctor. In the mean time hot flannels, hot baths and paracetamol.

BigW Thu 13-Feb-14 18:40:50

Sorry, also look for any hard or red patches. This couldiindicate a blocked duct, you can sometimes massage it away. Lanisoh for tge cracked nipples and wwll done for sticking with it!

Rhododendron Thu 13-Feb-14 21:38:45

You may need to see a doctor even if you don't have a temp.
I currently have dreadful mastitis, with a bright red breast/nipple that have been unbelievably painful, but haven't had a temp. The doctor gave me antibiotics.

Bfing will make mastitis/blockage better not worse, and there's no danger to your baby from an infection.

littlealien01 Thu 13-Feb-14 22:25:54

Thanks all, will keep an eye on my temp and make sure themidwife has a good look tomorrow. Feeling a bit better after some long feeds so hopefully it isnt mastitis but will get checkedx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now