Talk

Advanced search

Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine

(32 Posts)
onceipopicantstop Thu 13-Feb-14 12:52:03

Hi just wondered if anyone has tried one of these. I'm expecting dc2 in a few weeks. Breastfed dc1, but now have some health issues and will probably need to start medication after delivery. As a result I am probably not going to be able to breastfeed this time.
The idea seems to be to produce a sterile feed without having to cool it down each time. Have seen some good reviews but interested if any mumsnetters have found it helpful.
Thanks

McPheezingMyButtOff Thu 13-Feb-14 12:58:36

Well marketed crap I'm afraid.

The human way has worked well for decades.

tiktok Thu 13-Feb-14 13:24:44

once - just to add, in case you are not aware, that sometimes, mothers on meds are told they cannot breastfeed and it's not correct.

There are very few meds that mean bf is definitely out.

Heavy-duty tranx, drugs involved in chemotherapy....and that's about it. There are some meds where you might need to time their use, and others which some people might be wary of, but this is all something you can explore in more detail if you want to.

Breastfeeding Network has a drugs line, a facebook page on meds and bf, and plenty of info on their website.

MissRatty Thu 13-Feb-14 14:34:08

Good place to look is at the Amazon reviews. One advantage is that the bottle is ready in two minutes...but its an expensive piece of kit! We're considering getting one, as LO goes from 0-starving and screaming in seconds...but then again I have made a few bottles in advance for day use when they can be stored in the fridge (against current advice I know) and we use expressed breastmilk or the ready made cartons at night with the T. Tippee bottle warmer which only takes four mins to heat the milk.

Reviews say it is quite noisy!

Vixjane Thu 13-Feb-14 16:29:26

I have one. I'm currently moving over from expressing to formula and it's been great to have the bottle ready almost immediately. I also have a lo that goes from 0 to screaming hungry in 10 seconds so i use this machine while i get lo ready (out of gro bag and check bum). You just need to weigh up what would suit you best x

onceipopicantstop Thu 13-Feb-14 16:32:59

Thanks for the replies. I thought it sounded as though it could be a time saver when we have a screaming baby!!

tiktok - I'm probably going to start a tricyclic antidepressant. I'm very torn as to what to do as ideally want to breastfeed but am worried about potential effects on the baby. There is no evidence to suggest it would be harmful to the baby but studies are all very small. I have a bit of a "what if" mentality unfortunately so tend to overthink things! I have had a look at the breastfeeding network site - thanks smile

tiktok Thu 13-Feb-14 17:02:13

Another helpful site is this one:

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

Hope you reach a decision you are happy with.

onceipopicantstop Thu 13-Feb-14 17:14:29

Thanks tiktok

dannydyerismydad Thu 13-Feb-14 17:23:10

On the breastfeeding network page there is also an email address for Wendy, the BfN pharmacist. A pharmacist by day and a BfN breastfeeding supporter by night. She's brilliant and can advise on suitable and unsuitable drugs for you. She's a wise and experienced lady and responds to emails very swiftly.

My neighbour has the perfect prep machine and loves it.

Parsnipcake Thu 13-Feb-14 17:29:49

I am a foster carer of newborns and I love it! It produces a virtually instant feed at a consistent temperature, and I have found it makes a real difference to the feeding of temperamental babies - my last one went from 0.2 centiles to 5th centiles within 2 weeks of me getting the machine, I think because she was not having to wait and getting upset, and it was always a perfect temperature.

Breast milk is very good at filtering out tricyclics though- get more advice, but have used expressed milk on many if my babies when mum has been on various antidepressants.

GeordieJellybean Thu 13-Feb-14 17:31:39

A friend of mine has one and loves it and I've also considered getting one if I had to ff full time.

I'm in a similar situation to you and was told I couldn't breastfeed on my mood stabiliser (I have bipolar) so came off for 3 months for breastfeeding and ended up having a manic episode. I'm now on meds again and have been told that as the one I take has a short half life I can breastfeed part time but have to use formula for 7 hours after my dose (I leave it 12 to be on the safe side and it's over night anyway).

I personally found it very difficult to get answers on whether I could breastfeed on meds. One of the resources I was often pointed in the direction of was a book by Dr Hale so it might be worth you looking that up.

Best of luck!

2beornot Thu 13-Feb-14 17:36:26

How much is it?

You could what it does yourself with a bit of practice. For a 4 oz bottle, make with 2 oz hot water then add 2 oz cold (or whatever ratio you have worked out for your baby). Et voila!!

dannydyerismydad Thu 13-Feb-14 17:44:05

Here's Wendy's email address drug-information@breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk

MissRatty Thu 13-Feb-14 18:14:20

Seventy pounds was the cheapest I've seen on Amazon, but looking today there's no offer on anymore and its £115! Cheaper elsewhere...just google and click on shopping...

onceipopicantstop Thu 13-Feb-14 19:47:01

2bearnot - I didnt think you coukd add cold water, thought it all had to be hot? The machine does add cold water but I think its filtered so its sterile.

onceipopicantstop Thu 13-Feb-14 19:49:43

Annoyingly price has gone up on amazon - it was half price yesterday!

LindsayS79 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:45:22

Wouldn't live without it! Saved my sanity with a screaming baby who decides is starving in the space of 5 seconds! Great for night feeds. Worth every penny.

BookWormGirl Thu 13-Feb-14 21:49:05

We have one and it is amazing! Honestly. We paid £65 for it on Amazon a few weeks ago but I would happily pay more as it's brilliant.

Anothermrssmith Thu 13-Feb-14 22:53:39

I have one and I'm positively evangelical about it. I managed to get it for £65 on amazon but even at full price it's well worth the money. Went and visited my mum for a couple of days last week and stupidly thought we would survive without it,BIG mistake. Could never get the bottles made before dd was screaming to be fed which stressed me to hell and found havin to boil the kettle then leave it turned me into a mad woman who threatened anyone that went anywhere near the kitchen with a slow painful death if they touched the kettle.

It beeps after the shot of boiling water and again when it's finished and yes,it is loud but not deafening. If you can't breastfeed this is a great buy.

2beornot Thu 13-Feb-14 23:03:51

OP you can add cool boiled water after but the milk needs to be added to 70 C water. Once the 'concentrated' milk is made then add the required amount of cooled boiled water.

Although if I had that much to spend I'd be buying cartons all the time!!

Redbird12 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:33:16

We bought the Perfect Prep machine in Oct when DS was 4 weeks old. Up to that point we had only used the ready made cartons as i was concerned about making up powder feeds to the guidelines with a screaming hungry baby.

I would thoroughly recommend Perfect Prep if you know you are going to formula feed. It is really easy to use and saves so much hassle.

There are a couple of minor points that could be improved on - it beeps really loudly which can startle the baby and the sizes go from 4oz to 11oz whereas 2oz to 9oz would probably be better. However, you can use any brand's bottle with it and there is a dial to select the size of bottle you want to make up. Not had to change the filter yet and we have been using it every day, several times a day for 4 months.

Best deals at the moment appear to be Toys R Us and Kiddicare as both have it at £79.99 and you could also go via a cashback site if you ordered online. But keep an eye on Amazon pricing as it changes daily so will probably drop back down again soon.

onceipopicantstop Fri 14-Feb-14 10:10:24

Thanks for clarifying 2beornit -its 4 years since dc1 so need to read the guidelines again!!
But with all the positive reviews think I will be looking out for one at a good price!
Am going to email the breastfeeding network today as well.

MissRatty Fri 14-Feb-14 20:30:10

Its gone back down to £79.99 on Amazon...strange that it says recuced from £99.99 when it was £115 earlier today!

waceystills Sat 15-Feb-14 07:59:20

I have one and it is brilliant!

Quicker than heating ready made cartons too.

Hardly any faff, keep checking Amazon for the price as it is usually £65.

MissRatty Sat 15-Feb-14 09:05:52

I had two forty quid vouchers from changing car insurance this year so ordered it last night...free technically. Trés excited! Wish they did smaller than 4oz though as we tend to give 2oz top ups...

Naughty that they continually change the price from £165 to £56 (the cheapest I've seen it on there...) and they change the "original" price mark too. Mind you, they don't pay any tax in the UK so I hardly think it bothers them!

Does anyone put the powder in the bottle first, or do you have to wait for the water shot before adding the powder? Just thought it would be easier to add the powder first...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now