Talk

Advanced search

Have I given my baby the wrong formula?

(9 Posts)
MsFiremanSam Wed 12-Feb-14 22:14:28

DD 6 months tomorrow and started on 1 evening bottle of formula this week. Bought aptamil follow on milk after reading the which report, which concluded that all formulas are really the same, and thought babies needed the extra iron in follow on milk. Now worried that I'm wrong after reading another post on here, which points to the nhs advice and says first milk should always be the first formula you give baby.
Is it really that bad? Should I change to first milk?

ExBrightonBell Wed 12-Feb-14 22:26:44

It's not bad just unnecessary, iyswim, as first milk is fine till 12 months.

janmk Thu 13-Feb-14 07:04:40

i used it as u get offers on it so even if it is exactly the same it was nice to get points etc. x

Queen0fFeckingEverything Thu 13-Feb-14 07:08:26

No, follow on is fine after 6m. It's unnecessary and the iron is very well taken up but it's fine and often cheaper as promotions can be run on it.

However follow on must never be given before 6m as the iron levels can be dangerously high for a smaller baby.

Queen0fFeckingEverything Thu 13-Feb-14 07:09:01

The iron is NOT very well taken up, that first sentence should read!

fhdl34 Thu 13-Feb-14 07:24:26

Just watch for the iron, I've heard it can make babies constipated

Starballbunny Thu 13-Feb-14 07:34:18

Follow in milk exists purely to bend the advertising rules that, try to encourage Breast feeding, to breaking point.

However, it's cheaper and you get points and offers so you may as well use it.

I did for DD1 (DD2 refused and 12.5 years later still refuses to drink milk, she BF for ages and happily munched yoghurt and porridge as her suplimentery diary, but milk as milk noway)

Ohbyethen Thu 13-Feb-14 07:55:50

If she is having one bottle of formula a day it's not her main source of nutrition anyway.
If she was ff only then even at her age I'd probably use first milk if she were mine but for one bottle a day for a baby old enough to wean follow on is fine.
There are reasons it's a rip off in some situations (being largely pointless and a fantasy need product marketed to try and grab the tail end of bfeeders and extend formula use in both types of feeding) but if you would be using a formula anyway, she copes well with it and you can save some money then really don't worry.

If you have any concerns about how she gets on with it you'll change it, if she does well with that brand & bf/food then she'll carry on thriving and you're laughing. No worries.

MsFiremanSam Thu 13-Feb-14 21:20:33

Thanks everyone, great advice. Was concerned after the NHS advice that the first milk contains whey, which they say is better than the casein heavy follow on milk - but she seems fine on it, and isn't constipated. She's a pretty windy baby but has been even when ebf!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now