Talk

Advanced search

Biting - bleeding nipples

(9 Posts)
IWantToSCRRREAM Wed 12-Feb-14 13:07:21

DS is 6mo. He's always been a biter. He's had 2 bottom teeth for a while now and I really don't know much longer I can take the biting. I'm in so much pain. Even when he's not biting, it's so painful feeding him. Latching on is the worst bit, and he likes to constantly latch on and off because he gets so distracted. One nipple isnt too bad but the other one keeping bleeding where he bites and pulls. I've tried everything to stop him. Saying 'no' just makes him laugh. Hes too young to understand really.

Anything I can do? What can I do about helping my nipple to heal?

IWantToSCRRREAM Wed 12-Feb-14 14:43:07

He's just bitten me again. sad it's bleeding and a big flap of skin where he's dragged his teeth down my nipple. I could cry. sad

NickyEds Wed 12-Feb-14 16:17:54

I remember reading a previous thread on this exact thing. If I remember rightly there were two pieces of advice but neither sounded nice; Don't grit your teeth, actually cry out in pain- it will upset him and make him jump and stop. The other was to push him into the boob further- the idea being his instinct will tell him he's sufffocating and he'll let go. They both sound quite harsh but so is having your boob bitten. Might be worth looking the thread up.

IWantToSCRRREAM Wed 12-Feb-14 17:33:22

Thanks for replying. I have tried the scream thing, but he finds it really funny. I'll try the other idea, but most of the time he just bites and pulls as he comes off so I don't get time, if you know what I mean? Sorry I hope it doesn't sound like I'm just dismissing your advice.

cogitosum Wed 12-Feb-14 17:46:11

I have a similar problem (just posted about it) and called a bf helpline. They advised squeezing his nose so he comes off. She said the longest she's heard it taking to resolve using this method is a week but it usually stops it within a couple of days.

TheScience Wed 12-Feb-14 17:47:41

Do you put him down straight away and end the feed?

IWantToSCRRREAM Wed 12-Feb-14 17:57:04

Thanks cogitosum. I'll give that a try. It's so painful isn't it?

SCience, yes I lay him down on the floor straight away. I've tried saying no/not saying anything while I do it, he just doesn't seem to get it!

MostlyHarmless84 Fri 14-Feb-14 18:05:54

Hi, I had a similar problem when my DD got top and bottom teeth (doesn't sound like I was as sore as you though - that sounds like a nasty bite). I used to push her towards the breast until she unlatched, then say "no biting" and put her in the cot whenever she did it. If she found it funny I'd even leave the room for a few seconds so she knew it wasn't a game. If she bit again when we re-latched I'd stop the feed and try again later in the day. I found the last feed of the day the worst for biting, but when she realised I would try to put her to bed without feeding she would often get upset and feed without biting after half an hour or so.

My friend also had this and her nipple wasn't healing, so the HV suggested using a nipple shield for a while to allow the nipple to heal. I think they should be used carefully though as I believe they can confuse the baby more, but I'm not sure about that. Do
you have a breastfeeding clinic near you for advice?

WorthMoreThanThat Sun 16-Feb-14 00:04:29

Exactly the same problem and it's been going on a few weeks now and only seems to be getting worse! It's getting me really down and dreading feeds, ds also refuses a bottle...if he didn't I think I would of given up this week so certainly interested in any tips on dealing with this. I have tried saying no, also just gets a giggle! Unlatching and stopping the feed doesn't seem to make a difference either. I feel your pain x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now