Talk

Advanced search

Having doubts about whether breastfeeding is going ok - can anyone help?

(15 Posts)
ASmidgeofMidge Tue 11-Feb-14 13:10:40

DS, who is 14 days old, is my second dc, but is 6 years younger than DD. He is exclusively bf so far, which was something I never managed to fully establish with DD - was already mixing bf and ff by this time with her. Between the age gap and the different feeding method, I've lost my confidence a bit about what's 'normal' and wondered if anyone could cast their eye over DS' feeding pattern and let me know what they think. A family member has mentioned that he may have reflux but I'm not sure...

DS is currently feeding 6-8 times during in the day, and then almost constantly between 7-11pm. Feeds are about 20-30 mins duration and he usually is content with one boob, although yesterday fed from both sides for first time. I had put the evening pattern down to cluster feeding / growth spurt - does this sound right? He is waking twice overnight to feed, usually around 2am and 5am. We had some initial problems with the latch on my left side but these seem to have resolved; no pain on feeding now and plenty of wet/dirty nappies with yellow seedy poo. He's gained weight really well and is now 1lb 3 ozs heavier than birth weight.

DS can be a bit fussy during feeds, particularly at the beginning - I wondered if this was due to a fast let down, as he comes off the breast gasping a bit, with milk all over his face, but after a couple of minutes relatches and carries on.

He also seems quite 'windy' (at both ends grin) and often has hiccups. I have been dealing with this by burping him half way through his feed, he tends to pause naturally when windy. DS seems to prefer being held upright / sleeping on our chests after feeds (at which time he normally dozes off) although he can be put down to carry on sleeping on his back after a short while. He often brings up a mouthful of milk but this morning vomited up a full feed, which is what prompted the comment about reflux from DM. He can be quite snuffly and often grunts - sounds like he's clearing his throat iykwim.

Does all of this sound normal? I feel a bit pfb asking, but the age gap has meant I feel a total novice, and I'm a natural worrier! Sorry for length of post - didn't want to drip feed.

TIA

ratqueen Tue 11-Feb-14 13:16:03

Sounds completely normal to me. Sometimes mine were sick if they had a snotty nose or if I had too much milk, common st first when needs sometimes differ from day to day. Just another thought ref the vomiting.

ASmidgeofMidge Tue 11-Feb-14 13:30:52

Thanks for this - initially I just thought he'd had too much when he vomited, but then started wondering about the snuffles and the wind...

Jennyl131 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:40:09

sounds very normal, going by the number of wet/dirty nappies & the fact that he's gaining weight well. I wouldn't worry about the vomiting as a one off. Sounds from your dcs reactions like you might have a forceful let down, but it also sounds as if he's coping fine with it!
cake and brew for you, and well done persevering beyond the difficult early days.

ASmidgeofMidge Tue 11-Feb-14 13:41:32

Despite intention not to drip feed, forgot to mention I had a faintly spicy pasta dish for tea last night. Am not sure if this could be relevant? Does anyone know how long foods like this take to get into bm, and how long they 'stay'?

ASmidgeofMidge Tue 11-Feb-14 13:43:10

Thanks Jenny. Feel like the doubt is creeping in now though

Typos above - fairly not faintly spicy...

tiktok Tue 11-Feb-14 15:24:36

You couldn't write a more textbook description of a 14 day old bf baby if you tried smile

Many babies splutter and retch a bit in the early days. Don't go looking for diagnoses like reflux - this should be reserved for established sets of persistent symptoms.

Forget about the spices having an effect on your milk - it's just about remotely possible, but not worth worrying about.

You have a big confidence problem but that can helped by relaxing and by going to bf support groups smile

ASmidgeofMidge Tue 11-Feb-14 15:30:25

Thanks tiktok - I'm planning to start at a bf cafe in next couple of weeks, but I think I was thrown by the vomiting and by being discharged by midwives today - had a bit of a crisis of confidence, as you say

alteredimages Tue 11-Feb-14 18:48:06

smidge my DS is six weeks and followed exactly the same pattern, even down to the vomiting and grunting. He still tends to cluster feed in the evenings, though like you I think sometimes he does it for comfort. Hiccups are now greatly reduced in frequency though he still gets wind. Latch is also improving as he can get more breast in his mouth. Things get so much easier, don't stress.brew

CustardCream2014 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:35:42

This sounds exactly like my DD who is 16 days old. The vomiting, snuffling and hiccups do disturb me a bit but I reckon the dirty nappies are a sign everything is ok....

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 12-Feb-14 10:20:52

Thank you both. I'll sit tight for now smile

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 12-Feb-14 21:49:17

Another vomit tonight - curdled milk - and a greeny-yellow poo?!

LifeOfPee Wed 12-Feb-14 22:01:01

Everything you've described sounds completely normal, including the big vomit and the slightly greeny poo.

If there's a bit too much milk in his stomach it's quite likely he'll throw some of it/all it all back up and it looks like there's about 10 pints when it splashes all over you, the baby, the sofa, the cat etc. It doesn't mean he's sick or has reflux it means he's feasted and is too full so his tummy is making itself more comfy.

The occasional green poo (even regular ones for some babies) doesn't mean anything is wrong. If the baby is feeding well, is growing and developing well and there are no other symptoms then they don't need another thought.

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 12-Feb-14 22:47:38

Thank you Pee. I did indeed feel like I'd been drenched - DS managed to get all of it on me and none on himself!

ShiresCountryBumpkin Fri 14-Feb-14 16:08:11

All sounds brilliant to me & like you LO has got the hang of it nicely! If Just a tip....you need to slow down your initial let down a bit just press the palm of your hand firmly on the boob he's not feeding from (mind need to juggle baby a tad) for a few mins until it has slowed down naturally. Good luck hon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now