Talk

Advanced search

Suddenly eating a lot more

(3 Posts)
Anothermrssmith Mon 10-Feb-14 22:18:30

This might be daft but looking for some advice!

Daughter is 1month old and formula fed after 3 weeks on expressed breast milk (couldn't latch). She was taking 5 ounces every 4-5 hours but was rooting and crying after about 2 hours over the last few days so upped to 6. She's taking the extra ounce but still rooting after 2 hours and will only settle with another feed. On the formula tub feeding chart it says 6 feeds a day and should be having 5 ounces at 2months (though her weight,almost 11lbs is Iine with the 2month weight) So now I'm worried she's eating too much.

This is my first baby so I might be over thinking this,earlier I had myself convinced she was teething (still not convinced she isn't actually but that's another thread!) we changed her from SMA to cow and gate at the end of last week and this does seem to have started since then,could it just be that the cow and gate isn't as filling? We changed as she seemed constantly constipated on the SMA which has now resolved but maybe that was just getting used to formula?

've always been on the big side myself (an 18) and admit I don't have the best eating habits though I'm confident with my size I'm determined that my daughter will eat better than I do so I'm really worried I'm piling the weight on her when I shouldn't be.

What do you think, does she just need a day or two to get used to the new formula, is there something wrong I'm missing, or is she just really hungry?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 22:52:54

She will drink more formula than she did ebm as the ebm changes with time, so babies take roughly the same amount of BM whatever their age. However formula remains the same so they need to drink more to get the same nutrition.

Does she definitely need another feed? What happens if you walk around with her?

If she is definitely hungry, I'd ignore the guidelines on the tub, they are only a guide and you should feed her whenever she is hungry.

I'd stop worrying about her being big too. She hasn't got overweight on a week of formula. Is she tall too? Tall babies often need more milk than the guide on the cartons suggest.

Could you use the next few moths to try to sort out you eating habits so that by the time weaning starts she can share healthy family meals with you?

TheScience Mon 10-Feb-14 23:43:51

4-5 hours sounds like a really long stretch for a 1 month old to me. I'd maybe give smaller bottles every 3 hours so you aren't stretching her stomach - say 4oz feeds, 5 day feeds and 2 night feeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now