Talk

Advanced search

Is my 10 week old eating enough during the day?

(6 Posts)
MrsHY1 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:26:27

That's my question really! DD eats very frequently during the day (every 1-2 hrs, unless she has a long nap in which case it can be 3-3.5 but this is rare). Feeds however, are short (10 mins or so) and she doesn't seem to naturally come off the breast-I wind and switch sides but I finish feeding when I have to re latch her for the umpteenth time and get fed up of her faffing about grin). Reason I ask is that her night sleep is still crap- I get a 3.5 hr stretch if I'm lucky and then she's waking for feeds every 1-2 hrs thereafter (and properly drinking, not just sucking for comfort). Sorely tempted to switch to formula so I can see exactly what she's consuming and use that as a basis for tanking her up during the day. Or expressing a few times each day and feeding her that? Thanks for listening smile

TheScience Mon 10-Feb-14 21:28:03

Does she struggle to keep a good latch? Has she been checked for tongue-tie?

How are you deciding when to switch sides?

failingmammalian Mon 10-Feb-14 21:35:25

Hi. Not everyone will agree with me but ... I pumped during the day after feeds and gave her a bottle of expressed milk at bedtime (and then later on at 11 pm ish as well) and it made a world of differnrce. She slept, I had a break and all happy. U need a good (expensive in afraid) pump tho to make it work (best thing about pumping is the reading/quiet time it gives you ...). I would avoid formula as it really does brig with it a whole set of different problems without any of the benefits of bf! Good luck

MrsHY1 Tue 11-Feb-14 09:14:55

Hi, thanks theScience for responding. I wouldn't say she struggles to keep the latch but she definitely faffs about a bit after a while - e.g. she'll break the latch but then sort of make fish out of water expressions around the nipple and boob area. I relatch her onto the same side a few times, if she's still faffing I'll wind her, try again on the same side and if we're still not getting anywhere that's when I'll switch. She's not got tongue tie.
Failingmammalian I don't know why people wouldn't agree with you as that sounds sensible - however I have already tried that! Didn't seem to make any difference. I am very tempted to try a day or two of exclusive pumping though, just so I can see how much she's taking on board.

CuteLittleToes Tue 11-Feb-14 17:07:11

My DS does the same sometimes - the faffing bit. I think it's just one of those things they do - I too try to burp him or switch sides, but sometimes you just need to make a break and try again later IME. His sleeping pattern is the same too - he's 12 weeks. I actually try to put him down without feeding first, and only try to feed every 3h at night - it usually works but not always. I guess it's just one of the developmental things that they hopefully will grow put of soon...

CuteLittleToes Tue 11-Feb-14 17:08:06

Out* of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now