Talk

Advanced search

Worried I don't have enough milk

(19 Posts)
DaleyBump Mon 10-Feb-14 13:05:49

My 10 week old has been feeding constantly for 2 days. He seems totally frantic for milk. I would have put it down to a growth spurt but there's not one due around now. I keep trying to hear him swallowing but I can't, although I've never been able to. I just assumed he swallowed quietly because he's been gaining plenty of weight and is on the 91st centile. He's still having wet and dirty nappies but I honestly can't put him down because he'll start rooting. I'm really concerned I don't have enough milk and that he's going hungry sad

donttellalfred Mon 10-Feb-14 13:09:06

I'm no expert and I'm sure someone will be along soon who is. But from what you say I wouldn't think you have a problem. Likely your baby is trying to increase your supply. Growth spurts can happen any time and ten weeks is so little, they can go through phases of seeming to feed constantly for no obvious reason.

Have you had any feeding problems prior to this? No suspicion of tongue tie for example?

If he is gaining weight and producing wet/ dirty nappies then it's definitely going in!

poopooheadwillyfatface Mon 10-Feb-14 13:09:17

He hasn't read the book that tells him when growth spurts are allowed grin

He's a big healthy baby by the sounds of it, nothing at all to suggest you don't have enough milk. He will be increasing your production with all this extra feeding, but you may need to go with it for another day or two.

Growing - yep, plenty of wet/dirty nappies - yep, feeding lots - yep.

It all sounds very normal, though also pretty hard work at the moment. You are doing a fab job by the sounds of it. Can I prescribe you a bar of Galaxy or a carrot cake?

Showy Mon 10-Feb-14 13:10:26

How do you know he isn't 'due' a growth spurt? A growth spurt isn't something which happens when a text books says it should. The given times for growth spurts are just generalised. The whole first 6 months is a massive growth spurt tbh.

The way to assess 'getting enough' is continued wet and dirty nappies, gaining weight and the baby being well (alert, happy, meeting milestones).

The fussy stuff you describe could be a growth spurt in which case the added feeds will increase supply. If he's hungry and needs more, you put him to the breast more and supply meets demand. Or it could be the beginning of teething, awareness of the world, slight virus, comfort, cold, hot, boredom.

Do you like your health visitor? Do you have a decent bfing support group.

I certainly wouldn't worry about the behaviour described in a baby who is thus far gaining weight well, having normal nappies and thriving.

longtallsally2 Mon 10-Feb-14 13:15:32

yy to the above. Can you take yourselves off to bed and feed lying down for a while? Cluster feeding like this can be exhausting, but if the weight and the nappies are fine, then he will be too. Just look after yourself. (I used to start feeding from the side that mine had just finished on, even if it felt totally empty. He might get a few drops of the rich creamy hind milk, and then swap sides to let him dyson empty the other side too)

smile at Galaxy bar. I fed mine until they were 3.5 - and so talking. I was trying to persuade ds2 to have something else other than a bf to which he replied "Noooo, your milk is much nicer. It tastes of chocolate" blush blush

ChunkyPickle Mon 10-Feb-14 13:17:37

Have you had a cold and taken anything? I stupidly used a nasal decongestant spray for a couple of days, forgetting that it affected supply, and poor old DS similarly attached himself until I remembered and stopped using it.

Or, I found when DS1 was a bit bigger, that my supply dropped around my period (which didn't come back for 18 months, so unless you're very unlucky that probably isn't it)

Growth spurt is the most likely though.

tiktok Mon 10-Feb-14 13:20:16

Daley, it's understandable you are concerned but there is no evidence that growth spurts happen at particular times - my teeth itch every time I see them mentioned on mumsnet as if they are 'supposed' to be 'due'....and they are not growth spurts, just appetite spurts, and a baby's need for milk and close, comforting contact does not happen at predictable, regulated time intervals.

You are doing the right thing. Feed responsively. Your baby needs 'more' of you at the moment for whatever reason. It will pass, and you clearly have a lovely supply and a lovely relationship with him.

smile

DaleyBump Mon 10-Feb-14 13:27:22

Thanks so much everyone smile my mum is pressuring me to give him baby rice because "he's obviously hungry" and it was really making me doubt myself. I've not taken anything thankfully but my period is due (came back at 6 weeks sad)

yummymumtobe Mon 10-Feb-14 13:29:47

Don't worry, you will have enough milk. He just wants lots of it! You do get these hungry bursts and you just have to accept that you are tied to him for a bit, not make too many plans to go out and stick on a box set and open the biscuits! Make sure you drink plenty too to keep yourself hydrated. It can seem like its going on forever but I am now 5 months in and we only have a few efficient feeds a day and to be honest I sort of miss the cuddling and feeding on the sofa of an afternoon!

TheBookofRuth Mon 10-Feb-14 13:42:33

The older generous can be dead keen to ween early, especially if you have a big baby. He doesn't need baby rice, he can't digest it properly at this age, and breast milk is the most nutritious thing he can have.

My MIL was desperate to get my DD onto solids from a few weeks old as "she's such a big baby, she must be hungry!" - despite the fact that she was on the 98th percentile and basically spherical, so hardly wasting away!

Sounds like you're doing everything right to me, just keep at and be gentle with yourself - breast feeding is hard work!

TheBookofRuth Mon 10-Feb-14 13:44:35

Generation, not generous!

DaleyBump Mon 10-Feb-14 17:02:43

She's only 46! I was weaned at 12 weeks so she's determined to give him food confused she bought me 8 boxes of baby rice. 8 boxes! Thanks for the advice smile

DaleyBump Mon 10-Feb-14 17:03:36

And I was ff so she doesn't really understand bf at all.

tiktok Mon 10-Feb-14 18:40:08

Rice is not a great weaning food at all - and it would take you a long time to get through eight boxes!

Speak to your HV about this. She should confirm that there are more nuritious and more appropriate first foods.

Rice was popular when the main way of weaning was to offer sloppy foods at a very young age, 'cos you can mix rice in with purees, and/or give it without anything added on a spoon.

But nutritionally-speaking, it doesn't have a great deal going for it.

Hubb Mon 10-Feb-14 18:55:26

You're doing extra well then Daley in the face of all that "advice" from your mum!

My 9 week old has had similar feeding frenzies too , and not in line with the guidelines so it does throw you off a bit doesn't it!

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 10-Feb-14 19:23:20

She wants to wean at 10 weeks! shock
I read somewhere that they also want to feed a lot when they are learning something new or do g s etching developmentally, so the milk grows the brain as well not just the body. So couldbe something like that?

sarahann1211112 Tue 11-Feb-14 23:51:35

Your baby does not need and cannot properly digest solids until six months so put that out of your mind right away. Any mum with a baby more than a few months past that will tell you it was easier when all you had to worry about was milk. No washing up no food on the floor etc etc.
It sounds like you are doing an amazing job be proud you are giving your baby the best nutrition available on this earth and he is flourishing.
As previous posters have said he is just getting your milk up and spurts can come at any time, even the calenders with the spurts on are supposed to run from due date not actual birth date.
Please don't listen to your mum its so hard right now as its all so new and confusing but in a few months you'll be a breastfeeding pro and it will seem so much easier I promise. You will be angry with yourself if you give in and feed him to early, my sister had the same issue with her baby and my mum wanted her to give baby rice, she gave in at around 5 months and had the night from hell up with her baby all night. I guess she was to young and it upset her.
I am sure your mum means well but you are his mother and you know best.
p.s. we had to throw the one box of baby rice that we had away because it never got used up and went out of date.

curlew Tue 11-Feb-14 23:56:14

I am older than your mum and I knew that I shouldn't wean mine until 6 months!

DaleyBump Wed 12-Feb-14 00:13:59

My mum knew perfectly well she shouldn't have weaned us so early. She did a lot of things against guidelines, like smoking while she was pregnant. Don't get me wrong, I get along great with my mum but she did a lot of things that I wouldn't do and it grates. She ff, used a pram, separate room, disposable nappies and spoon fed us while I breastfeed, babywear, co-sleep, cloth bum and plan to do blw. Not that she did anything wrong, we just have very different parenting styles and she seems to think her way is better.

Thanks everyone, it really is hugely appreciated smile I wasn't planning on giving him solids, despite the "advice" from my mum. The baby rice is just going to sit gathering dust. He's back to his old self now so you guys were right (obviously) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now