Talk

Advanced search

Electric breast pumps??

(19 Posts)
BELewis Sun 09-Feb-14 21:45:29

Looking for recommendations please.
My daughter is 10 weeks old and I have been exclusively breastfeeding her, ive recently started expressing so my husband can feed her and I can have a break. I've been using the Tommee Tippee manual pump but really struggling with it. I can just about get 5oz so when she does have a bottle she needs topping up on the breast because ita not enough for her (so I'm not really getting a break) my hands really hurt from pumping and my milk leaks.
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced electric pump please? Fed up of spending all day feeding and pumping.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 22:11:38

I found the ameda lactaline really, really good. Have a look at the reviews on MN. Whichever one you go for though, try to look for one with a closed system.

BELewis Sun 09-Feb-14 22:37:33

Thank you. How do I know if they have a closed system?
There are so many to choose from!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 22:40:01

The ameda does and I think the ardo does too. Not sure about the others, hopefully someone else can help smile

DoingTheSwanThing Sun 09-Feb-14 22:53:27

Medela swing! Bought 5 years ago and still going strong.
I also just found out that it can be used as a double - just needs a double tubing thing (google!) and away you go, works brilliantly grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 23:00:12

The meleda swing is open but think their freestyle and new swing maxi may be closed, but I'd check with them.

Have a look at the lanisoh affinity and the ardo calypso too smile

SqutterNutBaush Sun 09-Feb-14 23:03:56

Can you borrow one first?

I could only express with a manual despite trying various models including Medela, Avent and Spectra.

Confitdecanard Sun 09-Feb-14 23:07:41

When I had DS there was a local baby centre where they could be hired. It might be worth speaking to your health visitor to see if there is a similar scheme. The good ones are quite expensive to buy.

BELewis Mon 10-Feb-14 00:07:41

Thank you for all your help. I will speak to my HV and see what she suggests as well. I don't mind spending a bit more if it means it will do the job properly. It takes me a about an hour and a half to get 5oz with the manual and it just isn't enough. It's frustrating!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 10-Feb-14 08:39:36

my local fb baby items selling group often has things like that for sale. maybe check obe b or two of those pages out?

Mishmashfamily Mon 10-Feb-14 08:40:49

Medulla swing it's award winning

leedy Mon 10-Feb-14 11:07:31

Ardo Calypso. Closed system (ie no chance of milk getting into any bits other than the pumpset/bottle), really quiet, very efficient, cheaply adapts to a double pump if you want. I find it about a zillion times better than the Medela Mini Electric, and I know a lot of people say it's better than the Swing and as good as the Freestyle at half the price. Takes a little bit of getting used to but once I figured out what settings suited me I never looked back. Use mine every day in work and can pump 4/5oz in 15/20 minutes, even without using the double adapter.

CityDweller Mon 10-Feb-14 14:33:13

I second the Ardo Calypso. I had a Medela Swing, but while it was good, it wasn't cutting it when I went back to work and needed to pump quickly. Once I got the hang of the Calypso it was brilliant. I also switched cos the Calypso is a closed system (and my Swing was beginning to get a bit yucky in the crevices, even after only about 6 months of use)

Jennyl131 Mon 10-Feb-14 19:32:28

avent natural electric pump has seen me through 10 months, (& still going) and is a closed system at under £100.

As a bonus it can be battery operated too.

coffeeandcream Mon 10-Feb-14 19:36:30

I used a spectra3. Not as flashy as others mentioned up post, but does the job and a fraction if the price. Check out in amazon!

BELewis Mon 10-Feb-14 22:25:04

I have opted for the Ameda Lactaline. Fingers crossed I get on with it! Thank you all for your help grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 22:45:55

Hope you like it as much as I loved mine. Make sure you keep the instructions, the lactaline has a good resale value smile

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 10-Feb-14 22:52:55

Ameda lactaline. Better than the hospital grade pumps. I exclusively expressed fir DS for 22 weeks and just started for DD

I am expressing 1.5 litres over 6 pumps a day and it's never let me down. I have 2 so can have one in different rooms!

BELewis Tue 18-Feb-14 21:57:19

WOW! I love my new pump! got 6oz in half an hour! sooo worth the money. would definitely recommend! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now