Talk

Advanced search

Trouble with night feeds

(4 Posts)
Ericadm Sun 09-Feb-14 21:19:38

My lb is two weeks old. We had a rocky start as he was janduiced and he would not latch. I expressed for the first 5 days and then he started latching. He is feeding ok during the day now I think. He sucks for about 20-30 minutes and then he falls asleep and sleep pretty much until the next feed. At night however he has his 20-30 minutes feed but can't fall asleep. He show signs he wants more but i dont think he us really hungry because when I offer more he will slip off the breast after a few sucks. If I try to put him in his crib he cries. If I have him on me to cuddle he will rooth desperately and become agitated. It can go on like this for hours with short feeds on and off and very unsettled in between and i am really exhausted as i am getting no sleep. Any ideas why this happens?

Twinsplusonesurprise Sun 09-Feb-14 22:33:44

It's really normal. Baby is really tiny and needs to be near you, esp at night. Keep going, try to rest in the day when baby does. Are you co sleeping? It worked really well for me and DS, now 4mo and very happy in his bed all night. So don't worry about making bad habits or lack of routine. Just give him what he needs which is you. Congratulations!!

WLmum Sun 09-Feb-14 22:57:27

Dd3 was like that for a few weeks. Night time is when your milk producing hormones are most susceptible to stimulation so it's like that he's trying to up your supply a bit. Try to rest in the day, and co-sleep if you're comfortable with it (follow all safety advice) - I did with dd3 until about 6 weeks as it was the only way she would settle at night. She used to suckle quite often but I could doze through rather than being wide awake. I was too scared to co-sleep with dd1 and always wonder if it would have helped to sort out our feeding issues.
Good luck!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 23:03:00

Sounds totally normal to me too. If you need to get some sleep,could DH take him for a little while and see if he can rock him to sleep?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now