Talk

Advanced search

Ongoing Pain

(2 Posts)
Romily Sun 09-Feb-14 18:55:35

My boy is 6 weeks old and I am still experiencing pain when feeding. I have had his latch checked by a lll advisor, 3 midwives and 2 lactation advisors who have all said it is fine. They also checked him for a tongue tie which he does not have.

There is no damage to my nipples and I am using lansinoh after feeds as well as using a variety of positions when feeding and still it hurts.

When he latches on initially the pain is extreme, every time, and as the feed progresses it becomes just uncomfortable. The pain feels as if it is at the very base of my nipple and inside. Once a day he has a bottle to give me a break but I really want to ebf. What can I do to reduce or get rid of the pain?

ExBrightonBell Sun 09-Feb-14 19:52:36

Could it be thrush? Seems unlikely but it could be an outside possibility.

Do you have any blanching or misshapen nipples after the end of a feed? If you do then there could still be a latch problem.

There is something called vasospasms which can cause pain. This site has an explanation and some methods to reduce pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now