Talk

Advanced search

How long do you really keep bottles for?

(9 Posts)
Trooperslane Sun 09-Feb-14 16:31:24

Just that really.

Does everyone 100% stick to making the bottle within 30 mins and religiously using within the 2 hour window?

I'm a bit of a slacker re best before dates etc for some context.

Panzee Sun 09-Feb-14 16:38:00

I'm a good girl re bottles. I use ready made though so don't know if that makes a difference. Sometimes I'm slack with BB dates, but not with dairy and not with a baby.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 09-Feb-14 16:42:38

you can make them up with hot water, cool quickly and put in the fridge for a maximum of 24 hours. I would throw away if they have been left out at room temperature for over 2 hours.

daisydee43 Sun 09-Feb-14 16:52:01

I filled up 6 bottles ev morning with boiled water and carried a dispenser of milk powder so when I needed to make up milk I could with no fridge etc. dd liked it cold too which helped.

LittleBearPad Sun 09-Feb-14 16:58:36

You need to make them with water that's over 70 degrees to kill the nasties in the formula powder. Then you can cool and wang them in the fridge for up to 24 hours. The powders tha dangerous stuff, not the water.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Sun 09-Feb-14 21:41:41

Agree with Littlebear the powder is the bad bit, so if making in advance boil kettle cool for 30mins, make-up bottles, rapidly cool (basin of iced water) then straight into the back of a fridge pref 3degrees or lower. We make the days bottles that morning, and the morning bottle the night before IYSWIM, so a made-up bottle is never in the fridge for more than 12hours. If out and about I bring a sterilised bottle and a carton smile

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Wed 12-Feb-14 12:23:34

www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf This explains the making bottles in advance thing on pg 6 of the leaflet, from WHO

Trooperslane Wed 12-Feb-14 16:28:39

Cheers all grin

purplemurple1 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:36:40

Make up hot and refrigerate for 24hrs, dispose 2hrs after ds starts drinking from it (not that there is often milk left by then nowadays).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now