Talk

Advanced search

Best cheap electric breast pump?

(13 Posts)
Louisajane27 Sun 09-Feb-14 11:39:41

Hi, can anyone recomend a cheap electric breast pump, that is also easy to use? Thank you x

CityDweller Sun 09-Feb-14 16:00:29

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think you get what you pay for with pumps! There's nothing more frustrating and demoralising than pumping for ages and getting nowt out... If you're planning on pumping regularly or at work then an efficient, comfortable one is key. You can save by buying used on EBay, but in that case only go for a closed-system like the Ardo Calypso (v good pump, I have one and love it). Avoid buying the ever-popular Medela Swing used as even though it's a good pump, it's an open system so impossible to completely prevent contamination.

If you're just pumping now and then, then a manual pump would be a cheaper option. (And some women prefer them/ find them more effective)

MissRatty Sun 09-Feb-14 17:22:30

I had to replace my Medela today and got a good deal in Mothercare...£100 for the Philips Advent Comfort, really highly rated, but it came with loads of stuff, presterilised storage containers, bottles, nipple cream, breast pads, nipple shields etc. reduced from £150.

If you are getting from ebay I would recommend a closed system, or replacing most of the parts that cannot be sterilised (aside from the pump itself)...

CityDweller Sun 09-Feb-14 17:28:39

[http://mythnomore.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/why-you-shouldnt-buy-sell-or-borrow.html This]] is the link I read that persuaded me to buy a closed system pump! Important info if you're thinking of buying off EBay

CityDweller Sun 09-Feb-14 17:29:01

Oops - try that link again

Louisajane27 Sun 09-Feb-14 22:06:55

Hi ladies, thank you so much for all your advice. Looks like I've got some more research to do (can't decide on which one) and keep my eye open for a good deal. Thank you so much again.

Jennyl131 Mon 10-Feb-14 19:37:06

citydweller I'd read that blog post too when looking at electric pumps boak. Another vote for the avent natural electric pump here.

BananaPie Mon 10-Feb-14 19:58:14

Thanks for sharing the blog post. Would put me off using any open system pump to be honest, not just second hand ones! Even if you're the only user, mouldy milk in the system can't be good (even if it's your own mouldy milk!)

CityDweller Mon 10-Feb-14 21:57:13

BananaPie That's one of the reasons I ditched my Medela Swing and shelled out for the Ardo Calypso!

ixqic Tue 11-Feb-14 12:47:21

If you find yourself buying new then buying a closed system like the ARDO Calypso or the Ameda Lactaline are safe bets. They are significantly cheaper than the Medela closed system pumps and they have a great resale value 2nd hand.

flouncymcflouncerson Tue 11-Feb-14 12:50:43

I had the spectra 3 from Anawiz. It's a hospital grade pump and can be used as a single or double. Can also be bought via Amazon. I recommend it any time someone is looking for a budget friendly electric pump smile

Jennyl131 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:23:03

ah, the spectra. I ordered one from anawiz & paid for next day delivery, though it didn't appear the next day, and eventually turned up the day after.

When it did appear it was missing the one way valve which in effect meant it was no longer a closed system.

When I called them it was suggested I just use the pump without the valve (potentially contaminating the system) until they sent one out. Er, no thanks, I bought it because it was a closed system.

I sent it back as it wasn't as advertised, cost me a small fortune in postage which wasn't refunded.

IIRC it was also rather large and heavy, but that might be true of all hospital grade pumps.

I was left having to take my pick of what was available locally as needed to express for being away from baby.

Louisajane27 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:35:32

Thank you everyone for all the information and suggestions. Still not a 100% but I am tempted by avent natural! Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now