Talk

Advanced search

Think I just need to know this normal....

(4 Posts)
orangemouth281 Sun 09-Feb-14 09:46:28

DD is only 3 days old so this is all very new for us. BF through the day seems to be going OK, she feeds every few hours and will sleep in her Moses basket in between feeds. However at night she wants to feed constantly and can't be settled at all. Last night I fed her 6 times in a row alternating between breasts until about 4 in the morning. I try to put her down in between feeds but she just cries and sucks her fingers as if she is still hungry. DH eventually suggested we give her a bottle which I reluctantly agreed to, this seemed to settle her for a bit longer. I now feel guilty and as if I have failed her because I have given in so easily. I am very teary and have contacted the hospital who are sending a midwife or support worker to see me today. DD has happily BFd this morning so I hope the bottle has not ruined everything.

DangoDays Sun 09-Feb-14 11:00:04

Hey! Congratulations. Don't panic. Sounds like you are doing great. It is hard going but by my experience being on and off through the night is normal in the first few days as the suckling helps bring your milk in after the colostrum. Has your milk come in yet? If you would like to exclusively breastfeed then I would avoid a bottle as it might prevent milk coming in. One off won't be an issue but if regularly given it might.

Ds2 is 8 weeks and in the first week he had lots of marathon feeds and was unsettled especially during the night.

Would you be happy to have the baby sleep propped on your chest or co sleep next to you if she won't settle in her basket?

I'm not expert but sounds like you are doing brilliantly. Those first few nights are rough! How are you feelin otherwise. Lots of biscuits with a nice coffee first thing always helps after a rough nightsmile

If you want to get latch checked or bit of support ask your midwife team, call la leche league or visit a breastfeeding cafe. I am sure all is well but being in the company of other new breastfeeding mums and getting some expert advice can really help reassure you in the midst of sleep deprivation!!! Keep posting if you are worried. Take care

Madamecastafiore Sun 09-Feb-14 11:12:58

Well done orange mouth, just to get through those first few nights deserves a medal.

I'd echo the sleeping on yours or dh's chest, we did this with dd 12 weeks now) as she just needed comfort not really more milk.

I think she was like this till about. 6 weeks when we moved her to a cot with a sleepyheads in which, I think cocooned her and gave her the sense of security she needed.

I breastfed all of my 3 and each was different though so please don't think anyone will have a right answer for you. Let the little one lead you and when they happy and feel full and safe they will settle and you will feel better about things and get more sleep.

MissRatty Sun 09-Feb-14 17:25:49

Meh, we were like this as well! It was relentless for the first few weeks.

You could try waiting until LO is really asleep...i.e. Floppy and totally zonked, before putting them down. It helped marginally with ours, but the frequent feeding was a killer.

Don't feel bad about the bottle, many do it, and either go on to sucessfully exclusively breastfeed, or choose the bottle...totally their choice.

Congratulations, and don't be hard on yourself...you are doing amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now