Talk

Advanced search

Really agitated when feeding

(7 Posts)
anotherbitofcake Sat 08-Feb-14 19:30:40

4 wk old been feeding really well up to about 2 days ago (and occasionally about a week before) but he's been a nightmare now. He feeds ok to begin then after 5 mins will scream and pull off. Then it's like he can't latch back on and he gets even more agitated. Both boobs the same.
He's feeding every 2/12 to 3 hours. Usually only for five or so mins. He's put on weight ok till now, though not been struggling till now.
If he's agitated pre feed he generally won't feed at all. If he's calm before feed, it's after a few mins he gets really grumpy. Seems to be worse pm though today he's been bad all day.
He's got slight tongue tie which was reviewed and didn't seem to be a problem though I want to get it reviewed. Is there any downsides to getting it cut?
He's also on a dummy. Maybe this is causing issues?
He suffers from wind. Could be this perhaps?
I try to wind him after each feed for five mins before trying him again on same side. I also have been giving him infacol which seems to be helping a bit with burping.
Help! What could the matter be? Is it my let down perhaps? How do I manage these episodes which I find extremely stressful?

anotherbitofcake Tue 11-Feb-14 17:09:55

Bump - anyone? Am going to see bf lady tomorrow but could do with some other thoughts.

ForgettableTampon Tue 11-Feb-14 18:39:28

I would try feeding at every squeak, less time for him to get in a pickle

Yes to snipping TT asap. I can't think of any downsides.

ps please sniff his head for me x

fluffandnonsense Tue 11-Feb-14 19:46:10

Have you tried feeding in a different position? Maybe rugby hold so sat up a bit more?

Also gripe water is great for bringing up wind.

Chocolateteabag Tue 11-Feb-14 20:22:02

dS2 has done the same to me - was my let down initially - choking on milk, now he either has a burp or a fart/poosplosion together out.
I have been riding it out, giving him small amounts of gripe water to help (he 8 weeks) and holding him up under his arms and swaying side to side(which relaxes him a bit
Have also been doing simple baby massage/yoga moves (cycling legs etc)

They get better eventually - DS1was the same for me

Chocolateteabag Tue 11-Feb-14 20:22:32

Together - to get!

DrownedGirl Tue 11-Feb-14 20:26:54

It's either a need to burp
Or your letdown slows and he gets impatient (google breast compressions for some tips re that)
Or the opposite, he might be very efficient at feeding now and have had enough quite quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now