Advanced search

Going dairy free...

(7 Posts)
harry78 Fri 07-Feb-14 15:37:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cakeismymaster Fri 07-Feb-14 15:59:56

Hi, would avoid soya too as sometimes it has same effect. I thoroughly recommend alpro almond milk for in tea and on cereal - actually nice tasting!
I also have been eating lots of varieties of soreen and mr Kipling apple and blackberry pies...

harry78 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:49:27

harry78 Fri 07-Feb-14 17:04:47

Pancakeflipping Fri 07-Feb-14 17:13:37

I would avoid lactose free products as I think some still have cows milk protein in them (CMP).
Pure do a decent sunflower spread (Vitalite is dairy free too).
Not found a decent cheese replacement.
We use oat milk which is fine.
Most makes of chocolate bourbon biccies are dairy free (check though) as are some jaffa cakes if you want a treat fix.

BlueHairedFreak Fri 07-Feb-14 17:16:53

I raised both my DCs on a vegan diet with no problems, you can make or buy a dairy free substitute for practically everything.
There's lots of useful tips on Vegan Village
Although it can be a worthy smile

geekaMaxima Fri 07-Feb-14 17:18:43

Lacto-free won't help as it's the proteins in cow's milk that usually produce the allergy/intolerance, not lactose. And many people who are allergic to cow's milk proteins react to soya proteins as well, hence the advice to avoid soya on a dairy-free diet.

Dairy-free means reading ingredients really closely, I'm afraid - milk and whey proteins are in soooo many things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now