Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Blocked ducts/mastitis?

(9 Posts)
PuddingAndHotMilk Thu 06-Feb-14 23:36:27

I'm Bf'ing my 6mo and over the last couple of weeks, while introducing solids, she's taken longer feeds on the left.

I've tried to put the odd extra feed in on the right to maintain supply but I now have a very painful left breast. The inside is hot and tender. She's taken 30+ mins more from the left than the right so it's not engorgement. It felt like a blocked duct so I massaged and pumped a couple of oz off but now it feels worse.

Should I feed exclusively on that side and pump right til it's clear or keep alternating as normal?

(She only feeds one side at a time unless cluster feeding in the evening. I have had to block feed in the past to address oversupply but supply seems about right currently)

Tia thanks

Figis Thu 06-Feb-14 23:58:56

Get as much milk out of the left died as possible. Feed, express, express in bath, express after hot flannels, check for blebs or milk spots on the nipple and squeeze out if present. Feed in funny positions...

You may not have yet managed to empty the particular duct, if you do you may well head off the flu like symptoms but if they start you may need abs, if self help doesn't bring relief pretty quickly.

Good luck

Figis Fri 07-Feb-14 00:00:18

Left side that should have been! And yes use the other side more sparingly and pump if engorged.

PuddingAndHotMilk Fri 07-Feb-14 00:11:09

Thank you thanks

leedy Fri 07-Feb-14 11:56:21

What Figis said, plus ibuprofen, it's good for the pain and also will get the inflammation down to help any blockage drain. Also lecithin supplements seem to help unblock ducts. Hope it's better soon!

PuddingAndHotMilk Fri 07-Feb-14 13:03:58

Thanks!
I'm taking Ibruprofen and paracetamol. DD is feeding well but I've not shifted it yet. I have a delayed script for anti Bs. Trying all of the above right now. Fx it clears soon confused

Thanks again!! thanks

Figis Fri 07-Feb-14 13:07:29

The lecithin is worth a go, best in hot choc if granulessmile

If you have a palpable lump and if doesn't reduce it can bd worth getting an ultrasound to check for abcsess. Really rare if you aren't rather more ill but does happen sometimes. Ultrasound can be a treatment for blocked ducts too... Bet your local physio team don't get asked for that much!

Frusso Fri 07-Feb-14 13:08:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuddingAndHotMilk Fri 07-Feb-14 20:02:09

The hard part is reducing and starting to soften after a day of exclusively feeding on that side. It still feels very bruised. I have red patches and lines. No fluey symptoms that I'm aware of. Headachey and tired is kinda normal for me at the moment.

I'll try to pump more after she's asleep and fx Tomorrow it'll have got back to normal. I'm worried about supply imbalance L-R if I carry on like this...

Thanks everyone thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now