Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a baby with milk allergy/intolerence?

(8 Posts)
Felix90 Thu 06-Feb-14 23:10:51

I'm a bit concerned that my 6 week old dd has a milk allergy/intolerence. We swapped to formula feeding around 3 weeks ago and ever since then she has had problems with constipation, although her poos look very soft. At first I was told its her digestive system getting used to the formula and it will get better, but it only seems to be getting worse. She's now very unsettled and crying through the night when she used to be a good sleeper, and this morning it was particularly bad and she was screaming the house down and looked like she was in a lot of pain sad she's ok briefly after she's managed to do a poo, but then about 15-20 minutes later she seems to be in pain again.

She's not got a huge rash or anything but I've noticed some spots down one side of her face/neck, and other symptoms are apparently a stuffy nose and watery eyes which she has.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, what were the symptoms you noticed? I don't know if I'm just being paranoid!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 19:37:56

Not sure sorry, but didn't want you to go unanswered. I'm CMPI but luckily both of my DC have been fine so I'm not much help.

Thought you might like this though smile

stepmooster Fri 07-Feb-14 19:43:15

Hi, yes my dd could not tolerate ff at all! I tried to switch under pressure from dh but she would scream the place down. Her stools were v loose, but they can get constipation. I never totally gave up bf so I switched back and cut all dairy out.

See your gp, you can get dairy-free ff on prescription. It costs them a lot so they may be reluctant.

Pancakeflipping Fri 07-Feb-14 19:51:00

My DS2 is dairy-free.
As a baby he did not sleep, well he did but 20mins at a time. He didn't smile much, he screamed a lot. At night he didn't settle. I had to hold him uptight constantly.
He was windy, reflux with projectile vomit after a feed(we covered the sofas and carpets in sheets).
Explosive poo - often needing a bath.
Vomitting for days then would be ok for a week then back to vomit for 2 weeks.
A very angry baby. Very hard work.
Skin dry and flakey.
The Dr wouldn't believe us until he was 18months. Then he was a changed child.

I found our HV to be a great help.
I hope it isn't dairy but if it is - well there's a lot of help and support on here and although not fair it's quite easy to deal with.

bakingtins Fri 07-Feb-14 19:51:38

Yes, Ds2 was MSPI (milk and soya protein intolerant) and sensitive to both in breastmilk. CMPI is common, 2-3% of babies, though only 0.5% react to breastmilk. Symptoms were silent reflux, abdominal pain, mucus in stool (looks slimy and if you fold and then open a pokey nappy strings of mucus bridge the gap - nice) no sleep, poor weight gain, red ring around anus.
Relactation might be an option, or ask for hypoallergenic formula (Aptamil Pepti or Nutramigen 1) on prescription.

Passmethecrisps Fri 07-Feb-14 19:56:56

Hello there!

You will find lots of useful stuff on the allergies board.

My wee one was thought by docs to have CMPI at 4 weeks old. She also has silent reflux. For her the deciding factor for the docs that it was CMPI was her total food refusal even once on the reflux meds. She was put onto nutramigen and there was an immediate improvement after some gentle persuasion.

She was initially fed by expressed bm and our problems started when I moved to ff. Her stools became so solid they required my help for her to pass - Vaseline, legs pressed against her and so on; went from being a regular 3 hour sleeper to 20 mins and screaming.

For us it was almost impossible to work out what was silent reflux and what may have been CMPI. Our docs decided to go belt and braces and what a difference it made.

I hope your wee one gets what she needs

Felix90 Sat 08-Feb-14 15:40:46

Thanks for the replies! Sorry didn't realise there was an allergies board.

We are thinking of taking her to the drop in centre today as the spots seem to have turned in to a rash. It's all round the side of her face and down her neck/behind her ears. She's very unsettled and it's like she's trying to push and is in pain sad she did used to sleep very well but now she's waking up constantly screaming.

Do you think the drop in centre will be able to do anything or should I wait and see if I can get her in at the GP on Monday?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Feb-14 18:06:00

The drop in centre should be able to refer you and prescribe neocate (I think)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now