Talk

Advanced search

1day old.Tongue tie, �heart shaped tongue�

(6 Posts)
MeeWhoo Thu 06-Feb-14 14:20:41

Dd has just been born and the mw pointed out quite an obvious tongue tie. It is very easy to see, even for me, once you have been told. She called it heart shaped tongue, not sure if you would call it that in English.
They have mentioned it on the notes for the pediatrician and they said he might reccomend to cut it. I have no idea whether this is the best thing to do as I have zero experience and info about this. �Is snipping the agreed best course of action?
I should mention that I am planning on exclusively breastfeeding dd, in case it mskes a disfference on the decision.

lilyaldrin Thu 06-Feb-14 14:23:51

I'd have it snipped as soon as possible. Tongue-ties can make it hard for babies to latch on and get enough milk and can make breastfeeding painful for you or even damage your nipples. DS had his tongue snipped at 3 weeks and it was literally just a doctor with a pair of scissors, he barely cried and fed fine afterwards.

TravelinColour Thu 06-Feb-14 14:24:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MeeWhoo Thu 06-Feb-14 14:34:13

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I feel a lot better already. I hope they can sort it out asap then!

LooeyLou Thu 06-Feb-14 14:56:10

My ds struggled to Breastfeed at all with his tongue tie had it snipped at 8 days old, quick and simple (I was really worried about it!) he's now 8 weeks old and has been Breastfeeding since we had it done!

NickyEds Thu 06-Feb-14 21:40:15

Get it done as soon as you can. My DS wasn't done for over 2 weeks and BF was a nightmare, The procedure is really simple- the baby is swaddled then the doctor snips the tt- my DS cried for about 30 seconds then was absolutely fine- I cried for longer!! BF got better gradually over a few days. Even if BF isn't effected tt can effect babies speech later in life and having it snipped when they're older is a much more complicated procedure. Congratulations!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now