Talk

Advanced search

Ok, help! Exactly how I go from 3 ff a day to cows milk?

(7 Posts)
u32ng Wed 05-Feb-14 21:07:35

DS is now 1 & on 3 ff bottles a day: waking , late morning & bedtime. He takes anywhere between 5-8oz at a time & averages about 20oz.

Anyway I want to start moving him to cows milk & in a cup but I don't know where to start!

How much cows milk does he need?
Do I just put cows milk in his bottle to begin with or just go cold turkey & offer it in a cup? (His cup only holds 180ml though)
Also how do you give them cows milk when out & about? Have milk in a cool bag?

Sorry if these are dumb questions!

lilyaldrin Wed 05-Feb-14 21:11:54

About 12oz of cow's milk is sufficient, and that can include cheese, yoghurt etc.

I would start by giving his late morning milk in a cup and seeing how he likes it. I wouldn't worry particularly about milk when out and about though. Maybe switch the morning milk to a cup too? Lots of toddlers still like the comfort of milk in a bottle at bedtime though - if you keep that then just ensure you brush his teeth after milk before bed.

RicStar Wed 05-Feb-14 21:15:23

I made one change at a time so day time bottles to cup then formula to cows milk. It took dd a long time to drink much from cup so I left night time bottle for a month or so. I used formula / toddler milk in the ready made up cartons for when really going somewhere where couldn't buy normal milk but didn't make switch until a year so she didn't need that much day time milk then could have water to drink etc.

wintersdawn Wed 05-Feb-14 21:21:48

Dd had already been having cows milk on cereal etc by one, so I simply waited for formula to run out and switched all bottles to milk and she dropped the mid day one soon after as I started taking water with us and she was happy with that.

As for cups, she changed to the none spill bottles rather than use teat bottles for a long time before cups arrived on the scene. When I did start them it was at meal times not first and last thing.

scissy Thu 06-Feb-14 22:37:54

DD was happy with cow's milk in cereal but when I tried switching formula for cow's milk in a bottle she just spat it out as it was "different", so I did it 1oz at a time every couple of days for 2 weeks. She also dropped the afternoon feed at this time and was happy to have water in a cup instead (with a snack). So now I've just got to replace 2 bottles first and last thing for a cup. Not sure how I'm going to achieve this tbh, however I'm thinking of switching the morning bottle first as she has drunk milk out of a regular sippy cup before, we'll see about the evening one...

u32ng Sun 09-Feb-14 22:01:31

Well yesterday I tried to give his late morning feed as cows milk but I think he was NOT impressed with the type of tommee tippee cup!

So today I just put it into his bottle and he had an oz and was happy with that. So will just continue with the bottle for a bit & maybe meantime look for a different cup to try next weekend.

anothernumberone Sun 09-Feb-14 22:04:11

I think you are best making changes 1 by 1 if possible. First do the milk and then the bottle. My last bottle to go was always first on the morning as that bought you time to start the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now