Talk

Advanced search

How to latch...

(6 Posts)
StillPukin Wed 05-Feb-14 10:35:16

I've just come across this and thought it was worth sharing..

www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75%3Awhen-latching&catid=5%3Ainformation&Itemid=17

Shellywelly1973 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:46:36

THANKS!

I've been looking for something like this but couldn't find something as straight forward and to the point.

It's day 3 for me. Milks in but I'm not very confident about bf so looking for reassurance that I'm doing it 'propley'.

StillPukin Wed 05-Feb-14 13:06:20

Glad you find it helpful. Well done reaching day 3 smile I'm on day 17 and I really am taking it one day at a time, so currently I'm aiming to feed for 18 days ;)

Hope its going well for you (both) and not too painful x

PurplePidjin Wed 05-Feb-14 13:15:17

<waggles pompoms>

Keep going! 14 months and counting here, 4 months was hell but it got significantly easier after that.

Congratulations thanks

StillPukin Wed 05-Feb-14 13:52:42

PurplePidgin 14 months is amazing! I have so much admiration for mothers that bf for long periods - it really is one of the hardest things I've ever done!!

PurplePidjin Wed 05-Feb-14 18:05:06

It's only hard for the first few months. There are big growth spurts at 6 weeks, 4 months, 6 months and 7-10 months (not all the time, just somewhere in that range!) where you get pinned to the sofa. But after the 4 month one they get stronger so they get more milk and faster. Each one lasts a few days, then you'll see them do something really cool - smiling, rolling, crawling, babbling - and things settle down again. There's no normal because they're all different but most babies will be at 2 feeds per day by a year, nearer 9 months for most mums i know (there's about 6 of us locally who met at bf support group with babies within 2 months of each other and all still feeding)

Comparing with ff mums, we reckon it's the same amount of work but with formula it's spread across 2 years. Ff mums are still sterilising bottles and measuring while bf mums are latch and go from 6 months onwards.

Unless you have serious problems with mastitis, thrush or your own mental health, just accept that nourishing your baby is the most important thing you can do right now and the housework etc can wait. Feeding you means feeding your baby, a useful one for dp in the early days when he felt useless smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now