Talk

Advanced search

Diagnosed reflux, no meds but is it worth changing milk?

(8 Posts)
Hotmad Wed 05-Feb-14 08:38:25

2 month old now told she has reflux, not bad enough for meds as her weight is ok, she had done days where really sick and some not too bad although she seems to not want to feed as much and she looks in discomfort. She has been pooing more but not diarrhoea, her poop of anything has more white bits mixed in the yellowy poop. Anyways do you think it's worth trying another milk? We currently on aptamil stage 1

Beckett3 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:43:30

I don't know if it's a new thing or not, but I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Aptimal now have a milk designed for babies with reflux.

spekulatius Wed 05-Feb-14 08:46:26

I would try a different gp. My dd had reflux and was given gaviscon which helped a lot. She never lost any weight and was never sick but would wake up every 30 min during night and I could hear her that something was coming up but then she'd swallow it again. Try again. Sorry don't know about formula as bf.

PinkParsnips Wed 05-Feb-14 08:46:47

our dd was on cow & gate and we swapped to aptimil as I heard it's better on the stomach but it actually made her reflux a lot worse so we changed back to cow & gate.

I'm not sure if it was the formula itself or making the change that made it worse iyswim, it be worth asking your hv first? Saying that she was instantly better once we swapped back so I do think some brands suit babies better than others.

I did read that c&g is supposed to be slightly thicker which is better for reflux I think.

Also the ones you see in the supermarket specifically for reflux etc say on them in small print to only use on advice of a doctor but that's maybe something else to consider?

PinkParsnips Wed 05-Feb-14 08:49:26

Also yes I agree with spekulatius our gp gave us gaviscon even though dd is gaining weight. It's definitely helped.

Hotmad Wed 05-Feb-14 08:55:52

Ok, well we tried aptamil reflux milk once and I won't be using again unless really really need to. The prep of it goes against guidelines and to top it off it takes 50 mins to make!
I might try c&g then. Also can anyone advise on how to take gaviscon for baby?? I will go and see a different GP

PinkParsnips Wed 05-Feb-14 21:19:09

The formula for prem babies that my friend uses gives different preparation guidelines too that seem to go against usual advice. Weird isn't it!

The gaviscon for babies is a powder that you mix into feeds. I think it works by thickening the feed slightly but we were told not to give at every feed so we just give it at 1st feed and tea time feed. Just to warn you it can make babies constipated, dd is a little but nothing major though.

InPursuitOfOblivion Wed 05-Feb-14 21:25:55

I didn't bother going to the GP for infant gaviscon, just went straight to boots and bought it over the counter.
They asked if it was recommended by the doctor and I just said yes.
Like you I already knew it was reflux and not another medical condition. I found SMA comfort milk worked best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now