Talk

Advanced search

fenugreek??

(7 Posts)
justalilmummy Tue 04-Feb-14 09:03:10

Ordered fenugreek to try and increase my supply
Came today and it says do not take if pregnant or nursing!
What? Is this just the brand I ordered or do they all say that on the bottle?
Confused...

justalilmummy Tue 04-Feb-14 10:32:46

Anyone?

GeordieJellybean Tue 04-Feb-14 13:09:04

I've not used it myself but I know a lot of medications and supplements say not to use if bfing or pregnant just to cover themselves. For example I've got a pack of ibuprofen that says that even though it's considered safe.

Tambajam Tue 04-Feb-14 14:01:29

Fenugreek brands usually state that on the bottle as a legal precaution and it will usually also say to consult your doctor so any responsibility falls onto her. To get a license for breastfeeding mothers is very costly. It's worth having a read on kellymom.com to look at when fenugreek isn't appropriate as there are a few health conditions when it's not safe to take it. Her article also gives you an idea about dosage. In fact it isn't a good idea if you are pregnant. However it's taken safely by breastfeeding mothers in quite large doses all over the world as I'm sure you know! Hope it works for you.

Tilly2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:20:37

Not sure if this will help but I couldn't read and run. Due to massive blood loss after delivery I really struggled with milk supply in the early days and it was actually the midwifery team on the post-natal ward who recommended fenugreek to me. I got it in high street herbal shop and I have been successfully BF'ing for 12 months. Whenever I think my supply is having a dip I start taking it again and it seems to have really worked. Hope this helps - not sure if it had that message on the bottle ...

justalilmummy Tue 04-Feb-14 19:33:52

Thankyou all ive had a look on that Kellymom and I think we should be ok
Apparently it makes u smell funky so this shall be fun... I might get my own seat on the bus for once haha

Sunflower1985 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:34:13

Could you say where you got it from?
I took it for a while and it worked for me, but is so pricey on the high street.
I found the smell quite pleasant, similar to aniseed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now