Talk

Advanced search

Very windy baby - what am I eating!?

(6 Posts)
MetellaEstMater Tue 04-Feb-14 07:53:16

Hello,

DD2 is 4 weeks old and mix fed. Mostly bf with one bottle of formula early evening.

She is an extremely windy baby and becomes quite distressed by it. Her wind is also extremely smelly, making me wonder whether there is something I'm eating that is causing her a problem. I eat very little dairy and cutting it out completely for a few days made no difference.

She is also not producing many dirty nappies (though lots of wet ones), but I haven't been worried about this too much as DD1 who was EBF only produced one a week.

Any thoughts much appreciated! TIA.

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 09:56:05

Nothing you eat can give your baby wind - it would only be things that can get into your bloodstream and therefore your milk that has an effect. I would have thought the formula is the most likely culprit.

naty1 Tue 04-Feb-14 10:11:55

I would think its unlikely to be dairy if your giving formula and it didnt get worse
I think it could be constipation as ff are more prone it sounds like.
Have you tried bicicling the legs

MetellaEstMater Tue 04-Feb-14 10:26:09

It started before the formula which she's only had for a few days. Will try bicycling legs - thank you!

Tambajam Tue 04-Feb-14 14:03:47

It's worth paying attention to your latch as well. Positioning and attachment is a very common cause of wind - much more common than a reaction to anything in mum's diet. Check things like bottom lip flanged out like fish-lips, a decent gape, chin making good contact with breast, both cheeks touching breast. If there are problems with seal at the breast, more air can get in.

gretagrape Tue 04-Feb-14 19:14:11

Just a quick thing - if it was a problem with dairy then cutting it out for a few days probably wouldn't be enough time to make any difference - the proteins take approx 2 weeks to leave your system so then would take another 2 weeks to leave baby's. We didn't see an improvement in our son's symptoms for about 6 weeks. Not scaremongering - try the above advice before going down that drastic route!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now