Talk

Advanced search

Does hand sucking from 2 month old always mean hungry?

(11 Posts)
Hotmad Mon 03-Feb-14 17:22:00

My 2 month old used to be easy to know when she was starting to be hungry as she would root and suck hands and stick tongue out. Now she doesn't root anymore, she doesn't really stick her tongue out too much but she does suck her hand, sometimes I know she should be hungry but other times she does it after feeding, she doesn't want anymore of bottle, she also had reflux and does not like dummies!!

Cavort Mon 03-Feb-14 18:06:49

At around 8 weeks my DD's hand sucking started to also mean tired. It doesn't get any easier either I'm afraid, you had better dust off your crystal ball ftom here on in smile

fhdl34 Mon 03-Feb-14 19:26:57

My 2 month old was doing it today whilst pooing and then stopped once he had pooed. He hates pooing and peeing so assuming it can be a comfort thing as he usually cries. I was just saying today how I feel like I never know what he wants, thought I'd have more of a clue 2nd time around. He also has reflux and cries a lot.

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 03-Feb-14 19:31:18

Dd sucks her hands when she's hungry, tired and I think she's teething as well. She's got very soggy hands!

bellablot Mon 03-Feb-14 19:36:05

Hand sucking is also connected to teething and speach development, according to my HV.

Hotmad Mon 03-Feb-14 20:36:26

Can a 2 month old teeth already would u think? What other signs would there be?

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 03-Feb-14 21:50:03

My dd is 2 months old. I think they can start 'teething' quite a while before teeth actually appear. It's quite early though. She's also been a bit dribbly. I dunno it might not be teething but that's my guess.

bellablot Mon 03-Feb-14 22:23:26

Babies can be born with teeth so teething at 2 months wouldn't be unusual.

naty1 Tue 04-Feb-14 10:43:26

Its generally 6m before any teeth come through. The dribbling is just saliva glands starting to work. Mine started dribbling around then but , unusually, never dribbles much at all when teething.
Their hand is their easiest toy.

HoratiaDrelincourt Tue 04-Feb-14 11:27:01

Could be teeth.

With mine it often means "omg what's this? slurp slurp slurp Who's slurping me? OMG if I slurp more ^my hand gets slurped more too^".

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Feb-14 11:33:13

That's about the age that they manage to find that their hands can reach their mouth and they get comfort from sucking on them. It us a developmental stage and doesn't always mean hunger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now