Talk

Advanced search

Mixed fed baby suddenly uninterested in bottle & not gaining weight

(7 Posts)
Flannelette Mon 03-Feb-14 14:30:19

My 9wo has been mix fed since 3 weeks (for all kinds of complicated & agonising reasons - please don't try to tell me I haven't tried everything on the breastfeeding front - that's not what I'm asking). Over the past couple of weeks he has started refusing the bottle - sometimes he screams, sometimes he just laughs & plays with the teat.

He was actually admitted to hospital at 3 wks because of stopping feeding (he is high risk because of a traumatic birth & first week in intensive care), and they diagnosed a tummy bug & GERD which has greatly improved through a domperidone prescription.

My instinct is not to force anything - he'll take what he wants when he's hungry. And maybe, I thought, he's taking more from the breast than we all thought. But his weight gain has suddenly slowed dramatically - he's only put on 60g each of the last 2 weeks (should be over 200g apparently, each week?).

Does anyone have an experience like this, and any advice?

He's been happy with position/teat/temperature up till now so i don't know why any of them would be a factor. He has a tongue tie but why would it suddenly become an issue after 7 weeks? (he's getting it snippd anyway...).

Flannelette Mon 03-Feb-14 14:33:52

Also, he had a cold the last week which obviously isn't helping, but he didn't have it that first week all the trouble started...

He is otherwise content & calm...

geekaMaxima Tue 04-Feb-14 14:04:05

Bump

Didn't want to read and run so hopefully someone more knowledgable can comment.

tiktok Tue 04-Feb-14 17:17:32

This sounds understandably worrying ... But what does the doc or Hv say?

Flannelette Tue 04-Feb-14 18:26:05

Hv is fairly useless. Saw a gp today who said there's no obvious answer. He suggested trying hydrolysed formula which has so far helped nothing. In fact he is objecting more & more to bottle. We're having to syringe in some formula just to get some more calories & fluid in. Altho he often vomits most if it up.it's been suggested he just doesn't want anything that's not breast milk (clever boy) but he won't survive on what I can produce which is about half of what he needs...

purplemurple1 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:38:49

With my bottles at least the teat size changed at 3 month's but I found a bit before that mine got bored of the slow bottles, combined with being more easily distracted during feeds. I'd try going up and see how he goes for a couple of bottles.

Assume you've tried feeding in a dark room to see if he takes more giving a bottle first on the night feed could help as he'd be less likely to be after a playtime.

Are you burping lots during his bottles - might be playing with teat because he needs a burp.

(we also mixed fed after failure to thrive its a stressful time flowers)

purplemurple1 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:44:49

Just thought - are you warming the bottles? I found cold bottles were sicked up more often than warm ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now