Talk

Advanced search

Weaning and so engorged :(

(10 Posts)
GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 03-Feb-14 10:01:50

I have very very nearly weaned 11mo DD. smile

I say nearly... We've been on just evening feeds for about a week or just over. Then she didn't feed at all on Saturday. Went ok, she was up a lot for teeth/gas but we've had worse nights. She didn't look to feed so I was quite confident. Since then I've got more and more and more engorged and it HURTS sad all the advice says that this won't happen if you cut down gradually! It bloody has anyway!

I tried pumping the worst side last night, got 100ml but it barely helped. In desperation I gave in and fed her 4 mins on that side (though I think she would have gone back to sleep without).

Now my left breast is taking its turn at pain and I can't get a drop from pumping.

What can I do?! When will they go down, will the milk not just re absorb at some point? I really don't want to feed DD more having finally had the breakthrough where she was no longer looking for my milk. Feel like it would just be confusing for her.

But it huuurts sad <wail>

mookickkick Mon 03-Feb-14 11:35:37

Hi there, have you tried just expressing by hand in the shower? I worry that pumping would tell your breasts to produce more milk. I went from 4 to 2 feeds that way (at 14 months) just hand-expressing to take off the edge. Dropping to just the evening feed was easy, and dropping that last one was easier still.

Good luck! You've done well!!!

minipie Mon 03-Feb-14 11:39:09

I agree with expressing by hand just enough to take off the edge - try dangling your boobs into a hot bath and then gently expressing a bit after that. Cabbage leaves in the bra are supposed to help too I believe. Good luck!

If worst comes to the worst and you can't get relief any other way then do feed DD a little - perhaps in the morning so it's not a return to the old bedtime routine? - it's better to take a slight backwards step than risk mastitis.

GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 03-Feb-14 19:11:02

Thank you both! I got a call back from the HV after I'd posted this... Her advice was wear a really really tight fitting bra hmm

I have been trying all your tips today instead! Still no joy with expressing - I got drops after the hot water trick but that was all. Although ironically the non-engorged side started leaking. If I can't do anything else then I will feed her a bit at a different time of day. Hopefully this will be over soon!

Woody31 Mon 03-Feb-14 19:24:48

If it's still bad put a very very hot flannel on it and tickle it- I know it sounds odd but it should get it flowing. Repeat hot flannel and tickling and then gently hand express by pushing towards yourself rather than squeezing.

minipie Mon 03-Feb-14 20:31:30

shock I cannot believe the HV said that well I can sadly but it's still appalling. what a sure route to blocked ducts and mastitis. Is there any way you can report what she said and ask that she gets some retraining in this area?

good luck! avoiding pain is really the main thing - don't worry if you have to feed dd to relieve pain, just try to keep it to a minimum.

minipie Mon 03-Feb-14 20:32:13

Yes tickling encourages let down (at least it did for me!)

naty1 Tue 04-Feb-14 10:46:48

I left my morning feeds as the last to cut out and never had any engorgement. I think night stimulates supply. I also cut down over about a month

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 04-Feb-14 20:43:31

Tickling grin will keep that in mind!

Minipie- good question, I have a weigh in booked for DD soon so will try and raise it then.

I fed DD one side this morning and am feeling great now. Hoping the worst is over, but it's very reassuring to know I have a plan in place now. Really hadn't expected things to be that bad! Thanks all flowers

dinkystinky Tue 04-Feb-14 20:45:11

savoy cabbage leaves, clean and from the fridge, great for relieving engorgement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now