Talk

Advanced search

9 week old hardly feeding.

(15 Posts)
DaleyBump Sun 02-Feb-14 19:53:52

All day he's been rooting then crying when I put him on the boob. Full on screaming. So I take him off and he starts rooting again. What am I doing wrong? confused

Auntierosemary Sun 02-Feb-14 20:08:46

Maybe he is just really hungry now and getting frustrated when he is not getting milk quickly enough? My daughters used to do this when I put them on the wrong boob - I could never remember which one's turn it was! How about expressing a bit into a cup, feeding him that to take the edge off, and then trying again?

DaleyBump Sun 02-Feb-14 20:15:07

I don't think so, I have really fast letdown so he'll suck for a second and pull off and it's spraying everywhere. He's literally crying as soon as I put my boob anywhere near his face sad

Auntierosemary Sun 02-Feb-14 20:19:12

Hmm sorry I'm stumped. I'm sure some bf experts will be along shortly to help! All the best x

Havinganose Sun 02-Feb-14 20:20:41

Could he have started teething? My ds needed teetha or bonjela first and then could latch.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Sun 02-Feb-14 20:27:09

Gosh how stressful for you. Have you spoken to anyone about this IRL? I would definitely call one of the breastfeeding helplines in the morning. He might be finding the fast letdown too much to deal with.

For tonight, could you try expressing off the first very quick bit (you could just do it into a muslin if you don't want to faff about collecting the milk) and then try and feed him off that boob?

dannydyerismydad Sun 02-Feb-14 20:32:10

Your fast leg down may be startling him and be too much for him to cope with. Have you tried the biological nurturing (sometimes known as laid back breastfeeding)?

It is much more comfortable for little ones as gravity slows things down a bit.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Sun 02-Feb-14 20:37:28

Just read the bit about him crying when you put your boob near his face. You poor things. sad

Another thing you could try tonight are laid back nursing where you lie almost horizontally and so gravity goes against your milk.

If he is getting very distressed, maybe have a bath together and give him some expressed milk, then try again in a bit?
flowers

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Sun 02-Feb-14 20:38:12

X post with Danny.

DaleyBump Sun 02-Feb-14 21:24:18

Thanks everyone flowers my boobs are gigantic so lying back really doesn't work for us. He might well be teething, he's really started dribbling today so I'll try some bonjela and see if that helps.

dannydyerismydad Sun 02-Feb-14 22:33:41

Are you able to get to a breastfeeding support group tomorrow? They will be able to help you with positioning to find a way that's comfortable for you and baby. Could you maybe try feeding lying down tonight to get you through?

I hope you're able to access support soon.

If you feel engorged, try to hand express off just enough to make you comfortable again.

MrChow Sun 02-Feb-14 22:38:13

It sounds like a fast letdown, I had this and had to express the first bit off quickly (hand) to make it less forceful when she first latched. Laying back feeding helped loads, and I have big boobs too so it took some mastering! Look on kellymom site for advice on fast letdown, it caused real fussiness at feeding times and I think we had a little reflux because of it. This was around the 9 week stage, we also had a posterior TT diagnosed and snipped.

Havinganose Tue 04-Feb-14 12:27:27

How'd you get on OP?

DaleyBump Wed 05-Feb-14 13:38:44

He has a tummy bug, that's all smile thanks everyone for your help smile

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Wed 05-Feb-14 17:04:23

Oh poor thing! Hope he's feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now