Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Think it might be the end :(

(21 Posts)
GimmeDaBoobehz Wed 29-Jan-14 13:10:13

My daughter has been on a nursing strike for 7-8 days now and is showing no sign of starting up again.

She is 9, nearly 10 months old.

She was flapping her arms whenever I put them near, now she lets them near but doesn't suckle and when I try and persist she'll then push them away.

I've tried doing it when she's been drowsy. I've tried doing it when she used to normally do it. I've tried doing it during the day but none of it seems to encourage her.

Has she really self weaned?
Does she really no longer like the breast when she used to love it?
Can a nursing strike be as long as this and then get sorted?

It just happened all of a sudden one day and it's made me feel really low, because I loved doing it with her.

Anyone who can help please do or put it bluntly for me if I need to hear it. Thanks sad

AwfulMaureen Wed 29-Jan-14 13:12:58

Someone will come on and ask if she's teething or if you could be pregnant...so I'll do it for them. smile

GimmeDaBoobehz Wed 29-Jan-14 13:17:21

She's teething a bit, but not very very badly. As in not crying lots but chewing things, iyswim.

But she was fine through breaking her bottom 2 teeth through about 3 months ago.

Nope, took a pregnancy test the other day and it came back negative and thank goodness too, as on the implant. smile

purpleroses Wed 29-Jan-14 13:18:36

My DD gave up about that age - complete rejection on her part. She was happy, she was healthy and enjoying tucking into new foods. Had nursed DS til over a year so I hadn't expected to stop so soon, but looking back don't really have any regrets. Has to happen some time. Time to buy some nice new bras and enjoy the more grown up little person she's becoming smile

glorious Wed 29-Jan-14 13:21:45

Awh I'm sorry. I have heard self weaning under 1 is rare and doesn't tend to be sudden. It sounds like you've tried lots so sorry if you've done this but a friend found a bath together did the trick.

Good luck thanks

ChocolateHelps Wed 29-Jan-14 13:29:09

Under 1, breast refusal is a nursing strike. It can be caused by almost anything like a sudden noise when feeding. There are stages of breast refusal from total refusal to slowly being close to breast, to latching on but not suckling etc. have a google for 'LLL nursing strike'
You can also call the LLL helpline to have a chat about what you want to do; either stopping without hurting yourself or other options to try to encourage get back to the breast
Skin to skin, in a sling, having baths together. Really just having her close without trying to feed. Having a nap on your chest skin to skin and then allowing her to hang out for some time, taking the pressure off you both.

naty1 Wed 29-Jan-14 13:44:27

I found the top teeth were much worse but mine fed more. Any other teething symptoms? Dribbling?
I know my supply was affected when my period came back at 11m

GimmeDaBoobehz Wed 29-Jan-14 15:02:47

purple Don't tell me I have to start buying her bras at her age? They really are growing up quick these days.

That sounds great Chocolate will definitely look them up and maybe given them a call if bath later doesn't at least help a little. She was pretty much flapping her hands at the breast last week so now actually letting her lips touch it but not suckling seems like a good sign at least she's not frightened of them.

Naty She has a bit of a temperature today so not sure how long that's been working on her. Her poop is a bit hard and she's dribbling a bit. It's her top teeth that are coming through now yes. Up until the early hours of last Tuesday morning she was drinking from the breast a lot more frequently.
No idea when my periods started. They hadn't by 4 months and then I got the implant so perhaps I have those hormones going on but just not bleeding? No idea.

I thought it seemed very early to self wean but wasn't sure if a week or over was too far gone and she wouldn't come back from it, if you see what I mean.

GimmeDaBoobehz Wed 29-Jan-14 17:31:50

Now she has a nasty temperature poor thing. sad

Had some Calpol so will see how she goes not going to push it when she's not well, although will have a little try at bedtime.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 29-Jan-14 17:37:54

Could she have hand, foot and mouth? It's really common and the mouth ulcers could explain her reluctance to feed.

Lydiejo Wed 29-Jan-14 17:47:08

I'm so sorry. My daughter quit just after 11 months. I pumped till her birthday, and did everything to get it started again. She was so over it. And before was nursing 3 times a day! I was totally heartbroken. My daughter got 3 teeth at the same time, which I believe started it even though she didn't act bothered by the teething. But even after they were in she wasn't interested. So whether it was a nursing strike or not, she self weaned and I did not make the decision for her! In your case I think she may come around. Keep trying, keep pumping, if she has any interest she may change her mind. If she never comes back at least you know you tried everything.

GimmeDaBoobehz Wed 29-Jan-14 18:05:25

I don't think so Tarka as before today she has seemed alright, albeit not sleeping that great at night but in a good mood/playful etc but you never know.

Sorry to hear that Lydie but at least you tried your best, that's the important thing. Plus she'd had a fair few months of breastfeeding so she got all the goodness from it.

I hope she does restart but if she doesn't, at least she's had 9 months of it and that's a comfort. smile

GimmeDaBoobehz Sat 01-Feb-14 12:07:47

Ok so I am back.

After 11 days she took the breast like she never refused it at about 2am this morning.

Had some more this morning.

Don't know if it will last but so pleased as 11 days is a long time.

Thought I would update everyone. smile

TarkaTheOtter Sat 01-Feb-14 12:18:18

Great news!

glorious Sat 01-Feb-14 19:13:10

Hooray well done! thanks

GimmeDaBoobehz Sat 01-Feb-14 20:31:16

Pretty sure it's nothing I did she was just pretty upset and then just thought I'd try it and she drank and fell straight to sleep on it, which is what she does at night time when she is having a feed.

We've had 3 today, so hopefully it's not a fluke. smile

Lydiejo Sun 02-Feb-14 00:35:47

Yay!!! That is great news. I can't lie, i practically teared up reading it wishing that could've been me. What a relief that is for you!

That bond during bf is so special. I'm already looking forward to feeding baby # 2. Enjoy!!

glorious Sun 02-Feb-14 11:20:28

You kept trying and didn't pressure her too much, I'm sure that helped smile

StarsAbove Tue 04-Feb-14 14:20:49

Happy endingsmile

GimmeDaBoobehz Tue 04-Feb-14 18:31:02

sad Lydie I wish it was you as well as myself. I was so sure it wasn't going to happen as 11 days is a loooong time.

Have you contacted LLL or is it a bit late now? sad

I think that was helpful for her glorious

Thanks Stars.

RegLlamaOfBrixton Wed 05-Feb-14 02:44:27

So pleased for you (I saw your original thread about the strike). My DS2 was the same after his, latched on as if he'd never been away! Still going strong at 14 months now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now