Talk

Advanced search

5 day old baby cluster feeding at night

(35 Posts)
Slh122 Sun 26-Jan-14 19:23:39

My 5 day old baby is breastfed and he feeds every 2-3 hours during the day. Except his first night, every night since is just a marathon cluster feeding starting about midnight. He's on and off every hour until about 5 or 6 am. In between feeds he falls asleep on me so I put him in his Moses basket and he starts screaming and rooting around and it all starts again.
DP refuses to co sleep as he thinks it's dangerous and says it's getting the baby into bad habits and that he'll never go down in his own bed - ok for him when he's getting stretches of sleep for more than an hour at a time sad
I feel like crying. DS seems to have started his cluster feeding at 7 tonight. Is there anything at all I can do or do I just have to go with it?

QuietNinjaTardis Sun 26-Jan-14 19:25:47

Think you just have to go with it as he's trying to get your supply established. It's hard but it does get easier. Can you chuck Dh in the spare room s there's more space for you to co sleep with baby?

Slh122 Sun 26-Jan-14 19:27:48

Spare room is currently in the process of being re decorated so we have no other bed at the moment apart from ours and the sofas. Would I be mean to ask him to sleep on sofa?

McRoo Sun 26-Jan-14 19:28:34

Agree with previous poster. You'll just have to go with it but keep reminding yourself that this doesn't last forever.

Is there anywhere else DP can sleep? (the sofa if you don't have a spare bed?) just to help you out a little at this time.

I also don't believe the bad habits thing. Your DC is teeny and acting on instinct. You can spoil them at this age. You need to do whatever is best for you.

Good luck, and you will get through it. smile

McRoo Sun 26-Jan-14 19:29:46

*cant spoil them

sillyoldfool Sun 26-Jan-14 19:31:23

you just have to with it I'm afraid. baby won't even be aware you're a seperate person to him yet!
sleep when he does, through the day and night.

sillyoldfool Sun 26-Jan-14 19:32:31

least your dh could do would be to sleep on the sofa.

Paintyfingers Sun 26-Jan-14 19:37:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paintyfingers Sun 26-Jan-14 19:38:11

Paintyfingers Sun 26-Jan-14 19:42:10

Santabroughtmethis Sun 26-Jan-14 19:45:04

Normal feeding pattern. Keep it going, its so hard but it doesn't last forever.

You'll probably find you'll get more sleep and feel more rested if you just co sleep, you'll be able to feed whilst snoozing, and there'll be no disturbances trying to put babe down.

As for habits, its rubbish! Babies can't form habits per se, they don't have the emotional ability / maturity to until they reach at least one. I can find you a link for that if you like.

Also if your DH isn't into cosleeping show him the links I'll add shortly, failing that can you get a cosleeper crib? Absolute life saver! Once baby finishes feeding you just slide them over, its kind of an extension to your own bed. Especially good for those nervous about bed sharing. We used one and when I was excessively tired used to slide baby over, and she started out in there at bedtime. Once she was bigger we had her cotbed up and left the side off but again, she was next to us. She happily sleeps in her cot now. She's not got used to being in our bed at all.

Santabroughtmethis Sun 26-Jan-14 19:49:14

dr sears bed sharing / co sleeping

Slh122 Sun 26-Jan-14 19:49:21

Thanks everyone - I was scared I was doing something wrong or that DS wasn't getting enough milk. I just need to remember it won't last forever.

Slh122 Sun 26-Jan-14 19:49:39

Thanks santa smile

Paintyfingers Sun 26-Jan-14 19:55:07

Paintyfingers Sun 26-Jan-14 19:56:28

Slh122 Sun 26-Jan-14 20:00:10

He fell asleep on me and I just put him back down in his crib and now he's upset again. I literally can't cope with another night of this sad

Paintyfingers Sun 26-Jan-14 20:03:32

OhCaptainDarling Sun 26-Jan-14 20:04:49

I'm on day 9 with DS and I found day 5 hellish too....I figure it just him settling in family life grin

You'll be happy to here my 9 day old has settled down, he's still feeding heavily at night but I'm getting used to it and he's sleeping for 3hr straight now.

Only advice I have is to go to bed now, a few extra hrs sleep now will help no end.

I promise it does get easier tries to remember DC1 you will see a huge change to his sleeping pattens over the next week or so.

Paintyfingers Sun 26-Jan-14 20:06:27

Santabroughtmethis Sun 26-Jan-14 20:07:05

Also if you can't get hold of a cheap cosleeper, buy a cheap second cot that you can leave the side off. It really is a good idea, I couldn't have done without mine and I now let friends borrow it! My cosleeper and moby wrap were life savers.

Paintyfingers Sun 26-Jan-14 20:07:06

Slh122 Sun 26-Jan-14 20:11:50

DP has just taken him into the living room and I could hear DS screaming hysterically and DP came back to tell me he was rooting and had his hands in his mouth. I fed him 15 minutes ago sad

QuietNinjaTardis Sun 26-Jan-14 20:23:37

I know it's really difficult but it won't last long. can you get a sling and tuck him up in that? See if hell drop off for a bit longer as he will be snuggled up to you.

BuntCadger Sun 26-Jan-14 20:26:05

My youngest is 5 days too and cluster fed last night and will likely continue tonight. he's my 4th so I remember the others doing similar. dh is sleeping elsewhere and baby in bed with with me as then I can nurse laying down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now