Talk

Advanced search

how does milk get onto babys lungs

(14 Posts)
stephobell1989 Mon 11-Nov-13 18:48:39

My health vistor said a few times now she suspects my sons milk is going down the wrong tube just woundering if anyone know the symptoms and what's done about this as my son throws up most his feeds and has a persitent bad wheezy chest but only really bad during and after feed he been admitted 3 times for breathing quickly

bundaberg Mon 11-Nov-13 18:57:43

what did the HV suggest that you do?

i really, really, really hate it when they tell parents something like that and then just leave. with no actual advice.

it is possible your son is aspirating milk yes... i don't know off the top of my head how that would be diagnosed or what you can do to help. I'd suggest going and seeing the GP and explaining what the HV has said and ask for a referral to a paediatrician who can do some further investigation.

is it formula or breastmilk?

bigwellylittlewelly Mon 11-Nov-13 19:04:16

Aspiration of fluids can lead to lung complications such as pneumonia. It is assessed by something called a swallow study.

I would see your GP and request a referral or ask your HV to do this. It is unlikely imho but should be checked out. Reflux can also lead to wheezing.

stephobell1989 Mon 11-Nov-13 19:04:41

Its formula oh god I dreed going the doctors he has been there none stop for weeks goes there and they just send him hospital which they do nothing he had 3 diffrent qestionable diagnosis but he always admitted for his breathing they say his chest sound bronculitic and health vistor just said do I think it going down wrong pipe and onto his lungs I just said I don't know I wasn't sure it could its baffles me and I can't find nothing on google about it either

bundaberg Mon 11-Nov-13 20:00:26

ok well has he had a referral to a paediatrician? if not then demand one. you are within your rights to request, and I believe they have to do it.

you can point out that you've been to the GP and hospital X number of times and that this now needs sorting out, so you want to be referred to someone who can do further investigations.

my eldest son had breathing difficulties when he was born and the GP referred us but said to take him to a&e if he had trouble braething. we did this and they referred him too, and that came through really quickly...

how old is your son?

pinkbear82 Mon 11-Nov-13 20:09:53

Ask the gp for an X-ray, they can tell from that if there is fluid on the lungs.

My dd at 4 weeks stopped breathing as I was feeding her (bf) luckily we were just across the road from hospital and got her there. She had milk in her lungs and it then went into pneumonia. Thankfully she has recovered and you couldn't tell the ordeal she went through. She did have reflux afterwards but even this has settled down now.

She's 5 months now, and absolutely fine. I don't meant to tell a story to scare, kind of the opposite really. But I would definitely phone the gp at least, explain what the hv said and ask for something to be done ASAP, before it needs doing iykwim.

stephobell1989 Tue 12-Nov-13 00:59:45

He is 5 months and is a premi I just don't understand if she mentioned this a few times now y she hasn't done a thing about it like I have to do there jobs for them had to get him referred for his eyes myself and for his development and his legs as his thigh bones are short I have had him screaming at me most the night which is very unlike him It takes me ages to even get a appointment for him at his docs as there bloody useless the said my eldest had insect bites all over his legs so i took him a&e with my gut instinct as i knew they wasn't and he was having a server allergic reaction to dust

Poppet45 Tue 12-Nov-13 11:59:56

Blimey hvs are useless, the wheeziness, vomiting and screaming sound much more like reflux (to which prems are v v prone), possibly linked to a dairy intolerance. Push for a trial of a hypoallergenic formula. Reflux can also cause them to aspirate feeds.

Poppet45 Tue 12-Nov-13 12:01:39

Just spotted yr eldest is allergic to dust. Dietary intolerances are much more common in families with allergies.

stephobell1989 Tue 12-Nov-13 17:41:38

My eldest had a intolerance to baby milk he was put on soya my 5month old is nothing like he was or id of thought that with reflux U bring up stomach acid and he isn't he has a bottle and atleast throws up half he only really wheezy after a bottle then it dies off but he breaths pretty fast his restpatory rate other day was 48-60 doctors and hv are useless atm im not getting straight answers

Poppet45 Tue 12-Nov-13 19:03:45

It depends how reflux manifests. You get happy chuckers and scrawny screamers. I got one of each. Ds was huge and fed and fed and puked and puked. Dd was 3 months prem rarely sick but it turns out she had silent reflux she just wept, fought the boob and went blue/limp when the acid came up. Both had cmpi.

Samyrimichelleq103 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:26:31

I HAVE A 1WK OLD GRANDDAUGHTER AND SHE STARTED ASPIRATION AFTER BIRTH. MILK WAS GOING INTO HER LUNGS INSTEAD OF HER TUMMY. SHE HAS HAD TEST RAN TO CONFIRM THIS. NOW THE DOCTORS WANT TO GIVE HER A FEEDING TUBE AND A TRACHEA. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE?

Madel28 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:09:54

My son's breath smells like a rotten milk.. he has a cough and i am suspecting that his milk is going to his lungs.. is that possible? If not.. where do you think mom like me that foul smell comming from.. please i need a response i am so worried.. thank you

flapjackfairy Mon 27-Feb-17 19:31:51

If your child is aspirating their feed it means that some of the milk is going down the tube into lungs as the mechanism that closes the lungs off when swallowing isnt working properly.
Food in the lungs can then get infected leading to chest infec and pneumonia.
If your child is getting lots of incidences of chest problems they will do a videofluroscopy to see if the child has a safe swallow or if food is going the wrong way.
An unsafe swallow can mean a child needs a nasogastric tube or feeding tube into stomach so that all feed avoids the throat and therefore the risk.
Also refluxing is when milk comes back up and then can be swallowed the wrong way.
Feeding tubes can be a temporary measure or a long term solution . I have 2 kids on them one aged 11 who has never fed normally and one of 2.
In some cases surgery can help as can medication and a lot of kids outgrow the problen as they get bigger and stronger.
Try not to panic Madel. You should have a speech and language assessment and the gastroenterology team will be involved if they find anything wrong. See your gp and ask for an urgent referal and get them checked if you think they have any signs of a chest infection.
Hope that helps. Not an expert just going on my experiences . Good luck

Sami sorry to hear about your grand daughter hope they get her sorted quickly. It is v scary but they will be trying to prevent any future problems by avoiding anything going the wrong way at all hence the feeding tube.
It looks scary but feeding via a stomach peg is relatively simple once people are trained and she will be able to go home on a peg feed.
No experience with traechy sorry so not much use there but sending you best wishes and congrats on your little granddaughter x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now