Talk

Advanced search

How to wean a 1 yr old

(3 Posts)
NoWayPedros Sat 20-Jul-13 06:12:26

Hi, DD is coming up to one and until a few weeks ago was EBF. She started nursery and will take a few oz of formula in the day to take to edge off (although not a big fan) so I currently feed morning, evening and overnight (don't ask).

I'm sad but also feel ready to stop BF now and want to move to cows milk. So my plan is to switch one feed at a time, probably starting with bedtime so someone else can put her to bed. She's not going to be happy as definitely likes a little chomp for comfort and demands it as soon as I come home from work sad

Any tips and is it whole cows milk? Do you heat it a bit? She's never been a big bottle fan so do you use a sippy cup (she literally only sips from that so not sure how it would work). How many oz?

solveproblem Sat 20-Jul-13 06:18:12

I BF 'd DS1 until he was 18 months, it got really tough in the end as I was his dummy and he couldn't fall asleep without me. We had to go cold turkey and had one night with lots of crying but he was good after that.
We gave him cold whole milk, but had for a while before that.

lemontop Sun 21-Jul-13 21:52:30

Sorry no advice but I am in an identical position so watching with interest. I am going back to work in a few weeks so definitely want to start reducing feeds. I have tried offering milk from lots of cups but dd not interested. I read somewhere that they only need 2/3 pint of whole milk per day but worried about her getting dehydrated in hot weather as she will only take tiny sips of water too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now