Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Cow's milk for 6 month old?

(10 Posts)
KristinaM Sun 04-Jun-06 22:27:41

I left my nearly 6 month old, fully breast fed baby at home this afternoon with his dad. And a bottle of EBM in the fridge. Came home to find DH had given baby his older brother's bottle - filled with cow's milk . Will the baby be OK? Everything I have read says they shouldnt have cow's milk til 12 months. I think that's because the proteins are harder to digest - is that right? Could DS get tummy ache? Could he get constipated, like they can get on formula?

BTW I am not worried about my milk supply as I've been BF almost continually for 2 years [tired emoticon]

shazronnie Sun 04-Jun-06 22:30:54

It is okay at 6 mths to use cow's milk in cooking and on cereal, so I think he should be okay. And formula is basically cow's milk anyway.

He might have a little belly ache cos he's not used to it, but I doubt he would get constipated after 1 bottle.

KristinaM Sun 04-Jun-06 22:31:43

I shoudl add it was only about 4oz

shazronnie Sun 04-Jun-06 22:37:47

Stop worrying! You can't get it out of him now!!

NotQuiteCockney Sun 04-Jun-06 22:40:03

They're allowed cow's milk at this age, just not as their regular beverage. I wouldn't worry at all about this.

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 04-Jun-06 22:41:20

I dont think one bottle will do much harm. Any intolerance/allergy would have shown up by now. (obviously i wouldnt recommend you giving him any more until after 12 months) but a one off is unlikely to have any profound effects.

KristinaM Sun 04-Jun-06 22:44:48

VVV - we dont have any family history of lactose intolerance, but i did wean DS1 very conservatively as we have a history of gluten intolerance

ShouldKnowByFriday Sun 04-Jun-06 22:50:27

Cows milk is lower in iron than formula so isn't recommended until 1 year when a baby is taking iron rich solids. Also is harder to digest but the 4oz shouldn't do him any harm.

KristinaM Mon 05-Jun-06 17:59:13

thnak you for your reassuring words. baby seems to be his usual self today and producing the usual amounts of wet and dirty nappies

KristinaM Mon 05-Jun-06 18:00:34

you would think, wouldn't you , that a grown man with 5 children could tell the difference between cow's milk and EBM?? [sigh]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: