Talk

Advanced search

Cow's milk for 6 month old?

(10 Posts)
KristinaM Sun 04-Jun-06 22:27:41

I left my nearly 6 month old, fully breast fed baby at home this afternoon with his dad. And a bottle of EBM in the fridge. Came home to find DH had given baby his older brother's bottle - filled with cow's milk . Will the baby be OK? Everything I have read says they shouldnt have cow's milk til 12 months. I think that's because the proteins are harder to digest - is that right? Could DS get tummy ache? Could he get constipated, like they can get on formula?

BTW I am not worried about my milk supply as I've been BF almost continually for 2 years [tired emoticon]

shazronnie Sun 04-Jun-06 22:30:54

It is okay at 6 mths to use cow's milk in cooking and on cereal, so I think he should be okay. And formula is basically cow's milk anyway.

He might have a little belly ache cos he's not used to it, but I doubt he would get constipated after 1 bottle.

KristinaM Sun 04-Jun-06 22:31:43

I shoudl add it was only about 4oz

shazronnie Sun 04-Jun-06 22:37:47

Stop worrying! You can't get it out of him now!!

NotQuiteCockney Sun 04-Jun-06 22:40:03

They're allowed cow's milk at this age, just not as their regular beverage. I wouldn't worry at all about this.

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 04-Jun-06 22:41:20

I dont think one bottle will do much harm. Any intolerance/allergy would have shown up by now. (obviously i wouldnt recommend you giving him any more until after 12 months) but a one off is unlikely to have any profound effects.

KristinaM Sun 04-Jun-06 22:44:48

VVV - we dont have any family history of lactose intolerance, but i did wean DS1 very conservatively as we have a history of gluten intolerance

ShouldKnowByFriday Sun 04-Jun-06 22:50:27

Cows milk is lower in iron than formula so isn't recommended until 1 year when a baby is taking iron rich solids. Also is harder to digest but the 4oz shouldn't do him any harm.

KristinaM Mon 05-Jun-06 17:59:13

thnak you for your reassuring words. baby seems to be his usual self today and producing the usual amounts of wet and dirty nappies

KristinaM Mon 05-Jun-06 18:00:34

you would think, wouldn't you , that a grown man with 5 children could tell the difference between cow's milk and EBM?? [sigh]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: