Talk

Advanced search

Overfeeding a breastfed baby

(7 Posts)
WriggleJiggle Fri 02-Jun-06 19:08:38

Back at work now, expressing for dd's daytime feeds. House husband wants to know if he should feed on demand? Is it possible to overfeed a (bottle) breast fed baby? She certainly enjoys her milk !

SoupDragon Fri 02-Jun-06 19:11:28

Um... probably. I always imagined the "not over feeding" applied to getting the milk from a breast.

how old is she?

WriggleJiggle Fri 02-Jun-06 19:15:46

7 weeks old

NotQuiteCockney Fri 02-Jun-06 19:17:20

I think it's pretty hard to overfeed a baby, period. If you offer the bottle, and take it away when she's annoyed with it, then that should be fine.

I think feeding on demand is trickier with EBM, though, because you can't leave bottles of EBM hanging about, like you can boobs.

SoupDragon Fri 02-Jun-06 19:18:46

pmsl at the image of breasts hanging about...

Does she have any pattern to her feeds?

WriggleJiggle Fri 02-Jun-06 20:39:35

Last week before I returned to work she was tending to feed: 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm then cluster feeds until midnight. Now its roughly 6am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm then cluster feeds til midnight again.

Jackstini Mon 05-Jun-06 10:21:52

WJ - maybe she just needs bigger feeds less often? I went through this when returning to work as I had no idea how much dd took at each feed. Shame we don't have ml marks on our boobs.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: