Talk

Advanced search

anybody tried a routine of play, feed, sleep?

(8 Posts)
milkyjo Wed 26-Jun-13 16:04:20

Dd loves the booby! I find she sleeps much better if she has a fullish tummy in the day. She is now 14 weeks and today I have been feeding when she wakes and then feeding before her naps to help her settle down, this has meant feeding every hour and a half! Has anybody had any success with a routine like this or one that would omit the immediate feed on waking and just feed before sleeping? Or should I just carry on with what I am doing? As breastfeeding releases sleepy hormones is this the way nature intended? She suffers from reflux and I think that's why she wants to feed all the time as it soothes her throat.

Meringue33 Wed 26-Jun-13 18:36:08

We often do eat-activity-eat-sleep!

Feeding, pram or car are his only sleep cues at present so if at home I will feed to sleep. No big deal I don't think. He wakes up in a better mood as not starving and can play for a bit before next feed.

forevergreek Wed 26-Jun-13 18:39:14

Eat activity sleep.

Feeding before sleep will unfortunatley just make it harder for them to self settle and fall asleep alone without milk.

happydaze77 Wed 26-Jun-13 20:09:28

Op, what you're doing is just fine. You can drive yourself crazy trying to conform to some kind of ideal schedule.
Feeding that frequently is fine at that age, and it will gradually lengthen out as dd takes fewer, and longer, naps.
And you're spot on about the sleepy hormones - it's too good a tool not to use imo!
Disclaimer: I'm not criticising anybody who has successfully done the feed-play-sleep thing- it's just that it's not for everyone.

LAF77 Wed 26-Jun-13 20:35:42

Self settling is a con. It is something babies do when they are ready to. You also can't make a child independent, it is something they grow into as they are ready. When they are ready, they won't look back, so cherish the sleepy milk drunk cuddles as nature intended.

milkyjo Wed 26-Jun-13 21:51:48

OK I don't feel so clueless now. This is dc2 and with dc1 I was trying to follow the baby whisperer routine and we ended up in a right state. I would feed every 2 hours with half hour naps and no amount of ssssh pat would help! It wasn't until he reached 7 months that I realised he was tired but also hungry. 7 months of an overtired hungry baby was really not fun!

milkyjo Wed 26-Jun-13 21:54:16

Incidently he still eats every 2-3 hours at 2.5 years old!

milkyjo Wed 26-Jun-13 21:57:24

forevergreek I am not actually feeding her to sleep, she is still awake when I put her down but she has a full tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now