Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Question about breast feeding

(5 Posts)
jofeb04 Wed 31-May-06 18:52:15

Hiya all,
As some of you know, I havent breast fed my dd or ds due to my own reasons. I do not want this to turn into a breast v bottle row!!
However, I am starting a course in July, which will mention breast feeding, and how to help mums, but obv I have no expearence (sp) in this, I am wondering the following:

1)What was the midwife like for help where you gave birth?

2)What was the Health visitor in help is needed for breast feeding?

3)Is there anything that you want to offer to help me out!!

4)What were your personal problems with breast feeding, and how did you overcome them??

Now, I know this is a personal subject, so feel free to CAT me if you prefer.

Thanks so much!!

spinach Wed 31-May-06 18:55:51

answer to 1 and 2 is...BOTH AWFUL... both in hospital and when at home... i asked for help loads of time in hospital, got none. I have never heard a positive story about a woman being given accurate or helpful advice about breastfeeding. Have heard countless about inaccurate advice given to women trying to breastfeed, and have several friend who didnt manage to feed yet had asked for help... I was lucky, i fed for 18 months, mainly i think because i had read so much about in on mn.

Tinker Wed 31-May-06 19:00:44

1)What was the midwife like for help where you gave birth?

Supportive but a bit to gentle. I left after 8 hours so not so relevant. But still, very supportive.

2)What was the Health visitor in help is needed for breast feeding?

Very good. Stressed getting help (had mastitis) emphasised without any judgement that formula wouldn't = an easier solution, just different problems etc. My HVs have been great.

3)Is there anything that you want to offer to help me out!!

Ask.

4)What were your personal problems with breast feeding, and how did you overcome them??

Mastitis after 2 weeks - both sides. Ouch! Went to an NCT bf counsellor, cannot recommend highly enough. Instant, instant cure. Amazing.

Tinker Wed 31-May-06 19:01:24

Too

nicnack2 Wed 31-May-06 19:07:19

1. for both births fantastic
2. first HV very good never forced one way or other. Current HV a bit OTT likes her statistics. DS2 is not bf exclusivly but she keeps saying he is.
3. For mums to do what they feel is best for them and baby. Listen to advice but do not feel presured into what the good/bad camp.
4. DS1 wouldnt latch on one side. Had really good BF clinic which you could drop in at andy time. DS2 chewed my nipples to bits. So just cos you managed once may be diferent with subsequent babes.
HTH

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: