Talk

Advanced search

How much milk for a 14-month-old?

(5 Posts)
littlestar Wed 31-May-06 09:34:46

I've just stopped breastfeeding and am not sure how much milk I should now be giving my 14-month-old DS. I was breastfeeding first thing and at bedtime, plus he was drinking 240ml milk mid-morning and again mid-afternoon. He could happily drink up to a litre a day but I don't want it to spoil his appetite for solids.
How much is the recommended amount? And how do other people divide it up during the day? He loves to have milk first thing and at bedtime, should he also be drinking some during the day? (By the way, he drinks goats milk as it seems to make him a lot less snotty!)

lahdeedah Wed 31-May-06 09:41:22

Recommendation is a pint a day, but that includes other dairy, such as yoghurt, cheese, etc.

I give my 14mo a cup in the morning, a cup mid-afternoon if she is hungry and a cup at bedtime. Sometimes she drinks it all, sometimes not.

Seona1973 Wed 31-May-06 12:57:42

from 1 year anything between 12-20 ounces is considered ok inclusive of dairy and milk in foods, etc. My dd had a small beaker of milk along with her breakfast and a small avent cup of milk at bedtime and no other milk drinks at that age. She did eat yoghurts, cheese sauces, etc to make up any shortfall.

louloubelle Wed 31-May-06 14:33:49

Hi...when I stopped feeding at a year, we did a cup of milk in morning, a cup after lunchtime sleep and one before bed, and we are still doing this at 28 months. As well as yoghurt, milk on cereal, cheese etc, probably at least a pint and a bit each day.

hana Wed 31-May-06 14:35:20

same as the others here - she has a beaker when she first wakes up, one before her afternoon nap and just before bed - I used to measure out a pint to be sure, but it all evens out. she's not keen on cheese or yogurts though so I wont' stop the milk 3x for a while yet

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: