Talk

Advanced search

Breast Feeding advice

(18 Posts)
Xena Tue 30-May-06 21:52:47

DS2 is 6 weeks old today and feeding has settled a little. But i have a few questions, he had a green poo yesterday does that mean he didn't get enough? also on a completly different track reading another thread I saw lots of people recommeding laying down to feed, which really works except during the night no matter if I try to stay awake reading I always fall asleep as I am laying down I'm worried that he will choke or be sick once I have fallen asleep

Xena Tue 30-May-06 21:55:36

also I feel abit guilty that I only fed our other 3 children for less six weeks, I had already given up by then. I don't want to give up yet though

bramblina Tue 30-May-06 21:56:10

My ds had a poo with a little green in at around 6 wks but hv said no prob. Not sure if purely green but sometimes can be an infection?
If I fed ds lying down in the night and I think I fell asleep twice, he had also fallen asleep! If your baby is prone to choking or being sick anyway then I would say always be careful then, but if he' normally fine I wouldn't worry- nature will probably prevent you from falling asleep! You'll probably give it noddy dog instead! Relax and enjoy!

bramblina Tue 30-May-06 21:57:19

Don't feel guilty, lots of babies get no breast milk, at least you tried. I'm still feeding ds and he's 10 months next week. Don't give up if you don't want to. What made you give up last time?

Xena Tue 30-May-06 22:13:19

I just typed a really long rely and it disappered!! DS1 the health visitor at 10 days said that he wasn't getting enough and that I should top him up with formula. Which of course just meant that i produced even less. DD1 I tried really hard but then at the when it got hard I switched to formula bascially ditto DD2. But as I was not allowed to do anything for 6 weeks postnataly this time I had time to make it work and now the hard bit is over I want to keep going. Other people around me are expecting me to switch to bottle feeding now though as the 6 weeks is up and also because I always have. I like to keep going to aleast 6 mths.

KristinaM Tue 30-May-06 22:17:08

kelly mom website has articles about green poo ( sorry for typing have baby on boob)

dont give up if you dont want to - there is loads of advicee here and in person if you need it

KristinaM Tue 30-May-06 22:18:17

you are right - you have been through the worst bit . it should get easier from here

Xena Tue 30-May-06 22:27:56

I'm finding kelly mom confusing can't find relevent info on green poo.

laundrylover Tue 30-May-06 22:37:41

DD2 had a bright green poo a couple of weeks ago (now 9 weeks) and think it was cos I had a brocolli cheese fest! If it's just the one then don't worry. He'll let you know if he isn't getting enough but you sound like you are going great guns.
I feed lying down at night sometimes and often drift off, same with dd1 and have never had any problems. I do tend to wake up soon after and shove the babe up the bed a bit!
Glad you're sticking at it.

ponto Tue 30-May-06 22:42:12

Hi Xena, I am breast feeding 7 month old dd2, I fed dd1 till she was 17 months. I would agree that it does get easier the longer you keep at it as the feeds tend to become fewer and quicker.

I've always done night feeds lying down and often used to fall asleep with dd1 as she used to fall asleep after feeding. Never came to any harm. Dd2 won't fall asleep straight after a feed, have to get up and burp her.

Have also had some experience with green poos! Don't think it means much. Dd1 only pooed every 2 days whereas dd2 used to do at least 6 a day for the first 4 months, now 3 a day. All colours of the rainbow but I think this is entirely normal in a breast fed baby.

Agree with you about finding the kellymom website confusing but found some information about making sure your baby has enough breastmilk here

Xena Wed 31-May-06 10:36:00

Thanks for advice, I'm fairly sure that he is getting enoughI just thought someone told me that green meant they weren't? I won't worry until next week when he is weighed. I fell asleep whilst feeding last night and I woke up freezing as i don't put the duvet over us incase he over heats.

FlameBoo Wed 31-May-06 10:43:25

Another laying down feeder here... Always bring him to bed with me for the middle of the night feed, and promptly fall asleep - he just detatches himself, and carries on sleeping when he is done. He has been sick once, and I seemed to instinctively wake up (actually twice, but the second time was down my cleavage - impressive direction he managed - so I woke up too )

UniSarah Wed 31-May-06 16:20:44

My lad gave us some striking green pooh at about that age too, just as I was starting to offer him both sides in a single feed. I found he was greener and runnyer if he had two breast to a feed so I went back to just one side a feed for a bit longer.
HV surgested it was becaue he was getting more of the more watery milk at the start of a boob and not so much of the creamier more fatty stuff.

TheHaikuPolice Wed 31-May-06 16:23:39

Yes the hvs always say green poos mean too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. However I am pretty sure tiktok (bf counsellor) has explained that's a load of nonsense, hasn't she?

I have always fed ds lying down when it's convenient to do so, you will wake if your ds needs you to, don't worry

laundrylover Wed 31-May-06 21:05:40

Kiah is now in a sleeping bag so I can stay under the duvet with her on top of it - does that make sense?
I do have little milky burp patches all over the bottom sheet though!

FrannyandZooey Thu 01-Jun-06 08:21:22

Laundrylover, your dd has a lovely name - we know a Kiah too

FlameBoo Thu 01-Jun-06 09:14:47

lmao @ milky burp patches My better than my seeped through breastpad patches - luckily they have stopped happening as often now, so I don't have to spend all my days changing my sheets!

tiktok Fri 02-Jun-06 08:55:03

No one needs worry about green poo unless it is with other symptoms. I have no idea why HVs say it means something bad like not enough milk or 'too much' foremilk.....sorry, I do have an idea why, it's because they don't know enough about bf. All it means is the baby's had a bit of 'intestinal hurry' and milk waste has been processed more quickly than usual. This can mean at that particular time the baby's milk was proportionately less creamy but it doesn't matter a bit. It might matter if the baby was distressed, obviously not thriving, losing weight, very miserable all the time....but all those symptoms are cause for concern anyway. I would say all babies have the occ. green poo and some have a lot of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: