Talk

Advanced search

Still breastfeeding but how do I give up (eventually)?

(4 Posts)
Em32 Tue 30-May-06 21:32:42

dd is 9 months and now on 3 feeds a day. I'm going back to work when she's 1 so I guess the middle of the day feed won't be such an issue then but the problem is she won't take much fluid from other sources. She hasn't taken to any beakers at all although will have a few gulps of water from a doidy cup after every meal. I think trying to get her to take a bottle would be pretty futile at this stage. Any suggestions?

BonyM Tue 30-May-06 21:36:11

Em, I would keep persevering with different types of beakers. My dd2 took ages to get the hang of any type of cup, but I kept offering water at every meal and one day it just seemed to click, and now she will drink from any sort of cup.

The cup she found easiest intiallly was the Tommee Tippee which just has one small hole that the water slowly drips through so she doesn't need to suck at first.

Tommy Tue 30-May-06 21:38:26

I was worried about this with DS2 - he hardly seemed to drink at all apart from me but I gradually gave up - lost the first one of the day, then the mid afternoon (I know - funny order, but it just seemed to work that way for us ) then the night one and his drinking did increase quite quickly afterwards.
He drinks quite a lot of water but is not bothered about milk although he has one small beaker at breakfast and another at tea time.
If you let them have their beaker within reaching distance all day, then they will drink if they are thirsty.
Good luck

Em32 Wed 31-May-06 15:51:15

Thanks am trying the Tommy Tippee and a doidy cup at the moment so will just keep persevering...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: