Talk

Advanced search

B'feeding low birth weight babies - advice pls

(10 Posts)
MeAndMyBoy Fri 26-May-06 11:11:04

Hi hope you don't mind me posting. I have been reading for weeks and learnt so much it's fab.
I have a DS who is 3 and was B/f for 6 mths. I am now pg with No2 and at a 'routine' consultants appointment was told that DS was under weight at birth and they needed to keep a close eye on this one - 4 additional Scans!
Ds was 7lb 5oz so fairly average, never looked under weight and nothing has been mentioned until yesterday. I am now concered that the hospital are going to try and intervene with my plans to b/f this time and insist on bottle feeding.
My instinct tells me that B/F will be fine for my baby, but how do I fight the establishment?
thank you in advance.
H

Waswondering Fri 26-May-06 11:39:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waswondering Fri 26-May-06 11:40:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiktok Fri 26-May-06 11:45:30

They've made a mistake...there is no way that a 7lb5oz baby is underweight.

Someone's misread it, and you need to ask about this. To stop yourself worying, perhaps you could give them a phonecall.

In any case, the weight of your baby at birth does not mean you cannot bf.

Toothyboy Fri 26-May-06 11:59:20

Oh my god - you could be me!! I have ds1 who is 3 and was 7lb 10 at birth. I now have ds2 who is 3 months - I knew from the first scan that he was small, I also had numerous growth scans at which I was told he was still growing but still small!

Eventually he was delivered at 38+5, weighing just 4lb 15! He was absolutely fine, no problems other than being small. I was determined to breast feed, knowing that being small he needed all the help he could get with the immunities and extra benefits of b/f.

Nobody tried to force formula on him, although it was mentioned on the first night as he was slow to start feeding properly. I persevered with getting him to latch and he soon got the hang of it. When formula was mentioned, I said I would prefer to express and feed him that from a cup or spoon rather than give him formula and the midwives were happy to try that.

He's putting weight on very quickly - about half a pound a week and now weighs a healthy 10lb 4!

I've heard many people say that for small babies actually it's even more beneficial for them to b/f rather than sticking them on formula to try to fatten them up, so you may find that the midwives are more patient and willing to make sure b/f is successful for you.

Having said all that, your baby may not even be small! But I hope I've gone some way to putting your mind at rest, and best of luck with everything!

CaptainDippy Fri 26-May-06 12:06:46

7lb 5 is no way low birth weight. Low brith weight is under 5lb IMO!! Breast feed if that is what you want to do - Health Professionals - Grrrrr!

SparklyGothKat Fri 26-May-06 12:08:49

I breast feed my DDs when they were born prematurely. DD1 was 3lb 12oz and DD2 was 3lb 8oz.

MeAndMyBoy Fri 26-May-06 12:25:08

Thanks for all your reasurances - it has helped me feel better. I am going to follow it up at the hospital because I do feel they have made a mistake I was dumb founded when they told me yesterday.

Toothyboy - thank you yes you've helped lots, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Tinker Fri 26-May-06 13:27:54

No, this is terrible. My first was 7lb and 2nd 6lb 13oz. No-one ever suggested low birth weight. I thought low birth weight was under 5 1/2 lb or so? I'm still bf my 2nd now at over a year old. Your instinct is right. Good luck.

MeAndMyBoy Tue 30-May-06 10:42:00

Well checked the figures that they have used and they are completely wrong.

They have my sons weight at a 1000g less than he was and my figures are wrong too .

thanks for your help everyone.

H x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: