Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

B'feeding low birth weight babies - advice pls

(10 Posts)
MeAndMyBoy Fri 26-May-06 11:11:04

Hi hope you don't mind me posting. I have been reading for weeks and learnt so much it's fab.
I have a DS who is 3 and was B/f for 6 mths. I am now pg with No2 and at a 'routine' consultants appointment was told that DS was under weight at birth and they needed to keep a close eye on this one - 4 additional Scans!
Ds was 7lb 5oz so fairly average, never looked under weight and nothing has been mentioned until yesterday. I am now concered that the hospital are going to try and intervene with my plans to b/f this time and insist on bottle feeding.
My instinct tells me that B/F will be fine for my baby, but how do I fight the establishment?
thank you in advance.
H

Waswondering Fri 26-May-06 11:39:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waswondering Fri 26-May-06 11:40:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiktok Fri 26-May-06 11:45:30

They've made a mistake...there is no way that a 7lb5oz baby is underweight.

Someone's misread it, and you need to ask about this. To stop yourself worying, perhaps you could give them a phonecall.

In any case, the weight of your baby at birth does not mean you cannot bf.

Toothyboy Fri 26-May-06 11:59:20

Oh my god - you could be me!! I have ds1 who is 3 and was 7lb 10 at birth. I now have ds2 who is 3 months - I knew from the first scan that he was small, I also had numerous growth scans at which I was told he was still growing but still small!

Eventually he was delivered at 38+5, weighing just 4lb 15! He was absolutely fine, no problems other than being small. I was determined to breast feed, knowing that being small he needed all the help he could get with the immunities and extra benefits of b/f.

Nobody tried to force formula on him, although it was mentioned on the first night as he was slow to start feeding properly. I persevered with getting him to latch and he soon got the hang of it. When formula was mentioned, I said I would prefer to express and feed him that from a cup or spoon rather than give him formula and the midwives were happy to try that.

He's putting weight on very quickly - about half a pound a week and now weighs a healthy 10lb 4!

I've heard many people say that for small babies actually it's even more beneficial for them to b/f rather than sticking them on formula to try to fatten them up, so you may find that the midwives are more patient and willing to make sure b/f is successful for you.

Having said all that, your baby may not even be small! But I hope I've gone some way to putting your mind at rest, and best of luck with everything!

CaptainDippy Fri 26-May-06 12:06:46

7lb 5 is no way low birth weight. Low brith weight is under 5lb IMO!! Breast feed if that is what you want to do - Health Professionals - Grrrrr!

SparklyGothKat Fri 26-May-06 12:08:49

I breast feed my DDs when they were born prematurely. DD1 was 3lb 12oz and DD2 was 3lb 8oz.

MeAndMyBoy Fri 26-May-06 12:25:08

Thanks for all your reasurances - it has helped me feel better. I am going to follow it up at the hospital because I do feel they have made a mistake I was dumb founded when they told me yesterday.

Toothyboy - thank you yes you've helped lots, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Tinker Fri 26-May-06 13:27:54

No, this is terrible. My first was 7lb and 2nd 6lb 13oz. No-one ever suggested low birth weight. I thought low birth weight was under 5 1/2 lb or so? I'm still bf my 2nd now at over a year old. Your instinct is right. Good luck.

MeAndMyBoy Tue 30-May-06 10:42:00

Well checked the figures that they have used and they are completely wrong.

They have my sons weight at a 1000g less than he was and my figures are wrong too .

thanks for your help everyone.

H x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: