Talk

Advanced search

help - 6 weeks and going crazy

(4 Posts)
oranges Thu 25-May-06 14:28:53

Hi,
I'm bf my 7 week old ds. We had a bad start where he plummeted in weight and had formula, but I got back to bf with some lovely support here, and thought things were going okay but. in the last week he's been more fussy than ever, feeding for about 5 mins, coming off the breast, then crying again 20 mins later and will only be quieted by another quick feed. SOmeone suggested cutting coffee - I've been drinking about 4 cups a day because I am SO exhausted, others say milk not enough. I'm terrified of making him go hungry again. please help!

tiktok Thu 25-May-06 14:38:37

Oranges, I think you need to talk to someone. Call one of the helplines.

A baby who feeds for 5 mins, has a break for 20 mins and then feeds again for 5 mins is not behaving abnormally or telling you you haven't enough milk, but more information and a talk with someone who knows about bf may be able to help you make things better and more enjoyable for the two of you.

Forget about cutting out coffee - can't see the point of that. There is some evidence that a lot of coffee makes some babies unsettled and twitchy, but that's not really your problem.

oranges Thu 25-May-06 14:47:19

thanks tiktok. Are you saying, in the nicest way possible, that I'm getting neurotic. Kellymom said being wide awake and alert could be a sign of caffeine over stimulation. He is certainly very alert, and that, combined, with crying, and pulling legs up to stomach, made me wonder. That's all.

tiktok Thu 25-May-06 15:07:12

Not at all, oranges....I am saying I can't tell what's going on, and you need to speak to someone. I don't think you are neurotic and I don't think you are worrying about nothing, either.....the feeding doesn't sound calming or enjoyable for either of you and you need to get to the bottom of it.
That, I suggest, is more likely to resolve it than cutting out a very moderate coffee consumption

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: