Talk

Advanced search

Painful letdown

(9 Posts)
ab00 Tue 28-May-13 20:13:19

Ds2 is 9 & a half weeks old & ebf. Since his arrival I've always had a painful letdown during feeding (& in between feedings?!) that results in ds2 pulling off, sometimes coughing & spluttering, with milk spurting everywhere & both of us (& anything near by) getting a soaking.
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this, does it get better & do the lo's get better at coping with it?

Awakeagain Tue 28-May-13 20:24:53

My let down was painful and also I have quite the milk flow once it gets going
I had to feed with a muslin tucked under my boob (sometimes one in my hand as well just in case) and ds had to have a bib on so at least if he got wet it was just a bib
During night feeds I quite often ended up with a muslin folded over many times down one side whilst I fed on the other
If only I could've mastered collecting all the milk my freezer supplies would be epic!

Awakeagain Tue 28-May-13 20:26:36

Oh and yes lo's get better at coping
Mine is 7 months and feeds extremely fast and 9/10 you wouldn't know how fast the milk comes! It is annoying when he just fancied a drink though and the full flow kept on coming

ab00 Tue 28-May-13 20:40:05

Hurrah! There is light at the end of the tunnel! I too am using muslin cloths strategically placed buf have still managed to get it all over ds2's face (even went up his nose once!), got dh on the other sofa & soaked the dashboard of the car. It is ridiculous!

noblegiraffe Tue 28-May-13 22:44:12

Block feeding is supposed to help with fast letdown
kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

sleepyhead Tue 28-May-13 22:56:52

Yes - both.

There's some things positive to be said for it though:

- I've never had to worry about my supply (although once my mother observed me feeding and ds1 fussing, and said "I don't think he's getting anything out of there" - ds1 was being sprayed in the face at the time hmm)

- Once they get the hang of it I think feeds tend to be shorter and dcs get very efficient

- I'm v good at expressing (could be a coincidence, but I've always been able to get a full feed in under 5 minutes expressing)

As Awakeagain says, block feeding can help if it's getting out of control, but I found that it settled down with ds1 around the 12 week mark.

I realised last night that when it's quiet I can actually hear the milk spraying into ds2's mouth in the first couple of minutes of a feed. It was very disconcerting hmm.

sleepyhead Tue 28-May-13 22:57:38

Sorry, it was noblegiraffe who mentioned block feeding.

Awakeagain Wed 29-May-13 15:19:12

I can also express a full feed very quickly especially first thing
Many of my friends are envious of this
I envious of being the one with the leaky boobs for so much longer than anyone else but ds feeds so fast now it's great

ab00 Wed 29-May-13 23:26:19

Me too sleepyhead!
Thanks for the posts, reassuring to know it's not just me &there are some plus points to the pain & water pistol effect my boobs seem to have!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now