Talk

Advanced search

Über sensitive nipples - likelihood of bf success?

(10 Posts)
Claricestarling4 Tue 28-May-13 14:32:56

I would love some advice. I have always had unusually sensitive nipples - cant stand them being touched in bed, have to use e45 cream on them every day or they become unbearably itchy, etc. I am 36w with first child and wondering if anyone has any idea what breast feeding would be like for me and whether there is anything I can do to be more likely to be successful. I have bought nipple shields and lansinoh cream.

Also, I am wondering about bf bras. I can't tolerate any bra with an inside seam in the cup (irritates nipples too much) and have bought two different nursing bras to try - Elle McPherson and Hot Milk - I can't tolerate either of them. Has anyone got any tips for ones that might work? Or can you bf with a normal bra? I am not hopeful I will ever find a bf bra that will work for me.

Any advice very gratefully received... Thank you.

southbank Tue 28-May-13 14:43:02

I can't really offer any advice unfortunately,but I'm exactly the same as you and have always known I would never bf as I cannot bear the touch or even the thought of it.
My dp always knew this and was always 100% supportive,when I found out I was pregnant it was never an issue as to whether I would or not it was a definite no for me.
I had twins so when I was asked about bf by midwives I said I wasn't going to and asked for it to be clearly stated on my notes as I had heard friends that had been pressured during pregnancy into bf.tbh I was never asked again and because I had twins most were under the impression that was behind my reason.
I hated the feeling of my breasts leaking during pregnancy,it used to reduce me to tears,I can't explain it but it made me feel physically ill.
Like I said I'm sorry I dont have advice but it could have been me writing your post-without the desire to bf obviously!

ExBrightonBell Tue 28-May-13 15:23:10

Have you seen the Bravado Silk Seamless bra? I am v particular about what bras are comfortable and I find these to be ok.

www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/uk-en/the-body-silk-seamless-nursing-bra

MB34 Tue 28-May-13 21:30:32

I don't have sensitive nipples normally so can't really give any advice on how bf will be for you. But I did find they were mighty sensitive and painful for the first 4 weeks of bf. I followed the advice to use Lansinoh cream after every feed, expose to the air as much as possible and ensure DS was latched on properly. After 4 weeks they got used to DS constantly being on me and they hardened up!

As for bras, I've had to wear breast pads most days since the start (6 months ago) so probably won't matter what bra you get. I leaked in the early days as they were always full and now I get the let down in both breasts when DS feeds on one side!

huhpuh Tue 28-May-13 21:38:01

I can second the bravado silk seamless bras. I've just bought some and they don't have any seams at all. Some of the most comfortable bras I've ever worn. Plus I have über sensitive nips too. Am currently 38 weeks and am planning on trying to BF but this sensitivity issue is something that is worrying me too.

I also have the shields and cream and am going to give it a go.

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 21:51:52

now, I could have my nipples touched in sex ut cannot stand seams in bras. talk about torture!

in breastfeeding I do wear breast pads (but the washable kind) and my nipples have to be dry when I pit them back in because owwww if they get stuck.

dd is 17.5mo and we're still bfing all the time.

I can still feel her feeding, but it's not a problem.

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 21:56:33

btw I had a massive go at the woman in mothercare about seaned bras. but I've always worn the breastpads.

I've got these

GraceGrape Tue 28-May-13 22:05:59

I can't bear to have my nipples touched because they're so sensitive but I've successfully breastfed both my daughters without any pain so it's definitely possible. I agree about the use of breastpads though. I use disposable ones and like the Johnsons ones best because they're quite thick so I find them comfortable, but I think you need to try a few out to see what feels best for you.

ExBrightonBell Tue 28-May-13 22:19:17

I second the little lamb bamboo breastpads - very soft and comfy, and do the job very well.

Claricestarling4 Wed 29-May-13 09:33:57

Thank you all so much - great advice. I have now tracked down those seamless bras, didn't know such a thing existed, brilliant! Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now