Talk

Advanced search

I did my talk to the antenatal class about breastfeeding today!

(26 Posts)
Miaou Wed 24-May-06 21:28:17

... thank you to all of you who contributed to my thread about what advice to pass on - I forgot loads (of course) but I still managed to give out lots of info. The midwife took me on one side afterwards and was singing my praises [bighead emoticon]and the head midwife has asked me to help her set up a baby cafe for the peninsula (more about that later this month - I shall be back asking for lots of info!!) There were 17 people there and I demonstrated how to feed in public without exposing boobs with a young lad sat next to me (he said he didn't see a thing but I don't think he was looking )

kiskidee Wed 24-May-06 21:42:27

congratulations to you!
I wish my local health authority was this forward thinking.

kate100 Wed 24-May-06 21:58:51

That's great Miaou I saw the title and thought it was you and here you are you clever thing. I'm really pleased you got to do this and I'm sure lots of new mums and their babies will benefit from your experience.

2Happy Wed 24-May-06 22:00:28

Oh, Miaou, I remember that thread. Congratulations! 17 people! Well done!

moondog Wed 24-May-06 22:03:41

Good on you Miaou!
What a star!

I've done this and also gone into schools and fed in front of scores of 11 year olds.
Not one was silly about it.

(What peninsula btw??)

Maddison Wed 24-May-06 22:18:37

Huge congratulations Miaou!!

I went to a local school to talk about breastfeeding about 3 months ago, I'd love to do what you are doing but I'm too quiet and shy really

Miaou Wed 24-May-06 22:38:48

thanks folks

Moondog, Ardnamurchan peninsula. Sticks out above Mull, kind of.

bramblina Wed 24-May-06 22:44:40

Well done Miaou! Was just thinking of you today, wondering when it was! You should be proud.

Littlefish Wed 24-May-06 22:45:57

Well done Miaou. Glad you found the info helpful.

hunkermunker Wed 24-May-06 23:33:58

Good for you, Miaou - sounds like you did a brilliant job! Looking forward to hearing about the baby cafe set-up!

Californifrau Wed 24-May-06 23:36:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Miaou Wed 24-May-06 23:37:49

thanks hunker! I am going next month with the senior midwife to visit one that she helped set up about 40 miles away. I've got lots of ideas and a venue in mind and I'll be after other people's experiences later on ...

Miaou Wed 24-May-06 23:38:15

Hausfrau is that you? Like the new name!!

Californifrau Thu 25-May-06 01:47:48

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 04:01:10

Oh well done you (you are not amporphous you are the lady who give BF talks )

I have my first talk for the Australian Breastfeeding Association at I highschool tomorrow, but someone else will be getting their norks out as mine are dry now.

Gingerbear Thu 25-May-06 06:31:59

Great job miaou.
I have an image of you with a sandwich board and a megaphone spreading the good word about breastfeeding.
It seems wrong somehow.

vnmum Thu 25-May-06 06:54:14

good job miaou. i too have been asked to help et up a breastfeeding support group and to do some peer support. i have only been bf for 6 months but i am passionate about it and am looking forward to helping and encouraging other mums to bf. any hints ot tips would be great as im new to the whole public speaking, running groups type of thing

Tatties Thu 25-May-06 10:58:56

That's great Miaou, glad it went well

Californifrau Thu 25-May-06 17:37:44

Miaou Thu 25-May-06 18:16:15

frau!

and suzywong, I am honoured, I have lifted myself from the depths of anonymity now

vnmum, that's brilliant, well done! Feel free to piggy back on my threads (and ask for advice too!)

suzi2 Thu 25-May-06 20:02:46

Well done Miaou! Inspired by your previous thread, I have now decided to get going with the peer support training. Rather sadly I was told I was somewhat of a novelty in my area - still feeding DS at 9 months.

So another one who might piggy back on your threads!

suzywong Fri 26-May-06 14:40:57

i did mine today with a proper BF counsellor who brought her baby in to a class of 14 yr olds, and bloodyhellfire they were on their mobiles calling and texting. They weren't doing it to be disruptive, it was as though the phone was an extra limb and part of the package. They were nice and interested, well moderately, and inthe last 15mnutes a group of them went off in to the corner and got out hairstraighteners. ANd the teacher rounded off the session by talking about a woman she knew who had a still birth at 41 weeks. It was most peculiar but at the end one girl who had been interested said she would like to give BF a go when she had her baby so it was definitely worth it.
Just hope the teacher banned the mobile phones for the lesson on contraception
Kids today, TUT

Miaou Fri 26-May-06 16:56:22

at texting during a lesson - how bloody rude!

However if you have made even one person think about bfing it is worthwhile imo. Good for you suzywibg

Miaou Fri 26-May-06 16:57:06

ahem, that should read suzywong

MarsLady Fri 26-May-06 16:59:57

Well done you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: