Talk

Advanced search

After a tearful visit to baby clinic today PLEASE.......

(87 Posts)
NotAnOtter Wed 24-May-06 21:18:05

Could someone direct me to the BREAST fed growth charts ?

My HV had me in tears with comments like ' we could introduce a formula feed but you dont want that'
I dont believe he is that bad at 14 weeks and 13 lbs 4 oz .
Please can someone help?
TIA

nicnack2 Wed 24-May-06 21:19:16

i have a chart in ds2 red book(scotland)

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 21:19:49

Is he happy?
Does he have lots of wet and dirty nappies?

moondog Wed 24-May-06 21:19:54

Oh for fucks sake.......

Does he look well?
Does he poo and wee?

Ignore the bloody charts.
My HVs were fab.They never looked at those unless you specifically asked them too.

Hope the lovely Tiktok drops by soon Otter.

GDG Wed 24-May-06 21:21:23

Don't go to the HV.

Are you worried about anything that means you have to go? I think ds3 was weighed by the midwives after he was born and then I never took him again - pretty obvious to me he was feeding well and growing.

Who gives a stuff about the bloody charts?! Totally and utterly pointless and just a source of stress for many.

If you are happy, your baby seems happy and is feeding - just forget it!

Probably get slated for this but that's what I think. I only took ds1 cos he was such a crap feeder but HV used to just annoy me with stupid comments and she could never tell me anything I couldn't work out for myself. Ds2 adn ds3 were therefore never taken except for teh milestone checks.

Crackle Wed 24-May-06 21:22:08

What are his weight and height percentiles? Does he have at least 6 wet or dirty nappies per day?

How is he generally? What did he weigh at birth?

These questions will give me something to work on.

Please don't worry.

MrsDoolittle Wed 24-May-06 21:22:20

This is rubbish. Ds was something like 11lb last week and he was 13 weeks.
He looks absolutely gorgeous and is fighting fit, noone could tell me otherwise.

NotAnOtter Wed 24-May-06 21:22:38

the whole world comments on what a smily smily contented child he is ...he is so sweet and chilled.

He only poos every two days sometimes three????

Today one of his poos (he did two) was slightly green and hv said this could be cause for concern?

I am normally very chilled but feel i am being judged!!

SquarewaysHereWeCome Wed 24-May-06 21:23:20

At around 2 months old my friend DD weighed 2lb more than her birth weight. She just ignored HV's advice to give formula as she took at a look at her healthy rosy cheeked baby and knew she was doing the right thing. She was/is just small.
I am sure someone will be able to find a link for you, but in the meantime just look at your DS - you will know yourself how healthy he is.
The charts do have their uses, but they seem to be used as more of a weapon against smaller breastfed babies than anything else.

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 21:23:44

You're HV is talking cr*p. BabyDragon has green poos and she is chubby beyond belief.

All Babies Are Different

GDG Wed 24-May-06 21:23:50

Notanotter - ds1 only ever did a poo every couple of days too, he's always been the same and it's normal for him (if it's not TMI, I am the same ). It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong.

snafu Wed 24-May-06 21:24:05

bf growth charts from kellymom

But...happy, alert, settled after feed, lots of wet nappies? Then don't worry

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 21:24:21

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH1your not you're

MrsDoolittle Wed 24-May-06 21:25:39

You have definitely got a crap hv. Does she have children?

Everyone knows that all babies produce green poo sometimes. IT MEANS NOTHING!!! really it doesn't.

This is exactly the kind of crap these bloody charts create that makes them sooo crap

snafu Wed 24-May-06 21:26:09

Sorry, x-posted. Feel free to ignore charts

Bf babies can go days between poos - it's not a problem.

Posey Wed 24-May-06 21:26:31

My sister worried herself stupid over these charts. Her HV got her in weekly to weigh her ds. Ffs he was the happiest healthiest little chap you could hope for. Ate decently, pooed and weed, slept well, had energy. HE WAS JUST SMALL. Small babies and big babies, thats what makes average babies.
Sorry not shouting at you. I just don't like charts like that, like school tables etc. They just aren't helpful.

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 21:27:20

Those bf charts are utterly cr*p. Teey put BabyDragon 2lbs above the 95th percentile at 13 weeks old. What rubbish.

MrsDoolittle Wed 24-May-06 21:27:45

Precisely Posey - Not helpful

snafu Wed 24-May-06 21:28:25

i really shouldn't say this but - you don't have to visit your HV, y'know...

Crackle Wed 24-May-06 21:28:46

Excellent advice here.

Monkeybar Wed 24-May-06 21:29:19

What a stupid woman your HV sounds. Luckily, mine were more supportive of my bf and kept praising me for sticking with it and that it didn't matter with centile the wee chap was on, as long as he followed a generally upward trend. Not sure where you could get a chart from, though, could la leche league or NCT point you in the right direction (phone numbers in red book).
Would you still worry if he was low on a bf chart, though? If he's happy, healthy and gaining weight, I wouldn't worry where on any chart he falls. (says the woman who constantly stresses because her ds is 9th for weight and 25th for height but 75th for head circumference!!) He's still gorgeous and happy and doesn't look out of proportion.
Just looked on the back of my chart and it's got the address of the publishers, and says on the other side that bf from birth charts are available, so it might be worth writing directly to them?

HTH

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 21:30:07

Does the fact tha BabyDragon is enornous according to those charts mean I'm over feeding her? No. Then the fact that NotABabyOtter is little doesn't mean you're starving him. You'd know if there was something wrong with him.

Monkeybar Wed 24-May-06 21:31:41

Blimey, took me so long to write my post, it's useless. Sorry

kiskidee Wed 24-May-06 21:32:11

what is wrong with these HV's? are they trying to put all babies on the 50% or above? somebody needs to get them into a KS3 maths lesson to let them know that this is impossible.

he doesn't seem to be off the chart to me.

(sshhh but i think it is another clever plan by formula companies to ff all babies! and she's on their books.)

snuffy143 Wed 24-May-06 21:34:38

I agree with all these posts. Your HV is not being at all halpful. Why can't they support breast feeding? It drives me mad! Some babies gain weight slower/faster than others! So what? Green poos are the lining of the intestine shedding - perfectly normal and healthy. You only see it in breast fed baby poo cos the milk is exactly the right nourishment for them and there is little wastage therefore no crap for the lining to hide in. Keep breast feeding, ignore the HV or lie to her - I did all three! My DD (7) and DS (4) (both breast fed til 23 months) are very healthy and normal but were persistently stuck on the 25th centile or below!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: