Talk

Advanced search

Antibiotics and breast milk.

(2 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Tue 28-May-13 08:52:44

I have 2 severely impacted wisdom teeth that are very infected, I have been given 7 days of Amoxicillin, since starting them yesterday DS (7 months) has had really dark, foul smelling, loose stools and he seems to not like my milk very much, he'll sniffle around for feeding and latch on fine but after a second or two he'll pull away with a really disgusted face as if he's tasted something bitter. Is it likely to be the antibiotics? If so is that it, after 7 days of bottles I imagine he won't want breast feeding.. Do I just continue trying him at the breast or ask for different antibiotics or could it be something else entirely?

cathan Tue 28-May-13 11:53:55

The most important thing right now has to be curing your infection. You won't be any good to your DS if you're ill! And you shouldn't change antibiotics - once you've begun the course, you should complete it (unless it made YOU ill). That said, it probably is the amoxicillin that is making your milk taste funny. It might also be giving him funny stools, but that is less likely. If you don't feed while you're on the antibiotics, you do risk him self-weaning as he may not want the breast after having formula for a week. Also, you'd have to express a lot to keep up your supply. I would keep offering the breast. Hopefully he'll feed when he gets hungry/thirsty enough, but if he doesn't you'll have to give him formula. Remember, whatever happens nothing can undo the benefit he's had from 7 months of breastfeeding. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now