Talk

Advanced search

36 weeks pregnant - how to stop BF my 24 month old DD?

(8 Posts)
FirstTimeMum1980 Mon 27-May-13 11:11:14

I am 36 weeks pregnant, and my 24 months old DD still BFs for 10 minutes before she goes to sleep at night. We also co-sleep.

My DH and I have decided that we would like DD to stop BF by the time the new baby arrives. I'm hoping that this will make it easier for DH to help out with bedtimes etc. and just feel that I am ready to stop.

So, does anyone have any tips on how to stop BF an older child? Would appreciate hearing other people's experiences.

leedy Mon 27-May-13 11:34:18

I weaned DS1 at just over 2 when I was pregnant with DS2, and he was also just down to a bedtime feed. He did seem to be reducing the amount of time feeding by himself, which helped, so I talked about how he was a big boy now and had "drunk all the milk": after a couple of nights he just didn't ask again. If your DD is still a bit more committed, you could try your DH taking over some of the bedtime duties? I know another thing that helped us was that DS1 was already used to having the occasional Daddy bedtime when I was out at band practice.

fhdl34 Mon 27-May-13 16:54:26

You're quite close to due date, it could be that she doesn't want to stop or wants to restart and feed more when she sees the baby feeding.
I'm currently 3 months pregnant and in a quandary about whether we fully wean her or let her carry on as I'm hoping it might help with any jealousy issues.
Anyway, watching with interest on what you do and how it goes. Good luck

HorryIsUpduffed Mon 27-May-13 18:49:31

17w and facing a similar dilemma with 25mo DS2.

For what it's worth, we recently cut out the going-to-bed feed just by changing the bedtime routine round. DH did a week or so of bedtimes following every single normal step except the bf, obviously, and although DS2 was a bit cross the first couple of nights, it was fine after that. He now only feeds in the morning, having joined us in the big bed at some point overnight.

I'm not too stressed about timing though. DS1 weaned at 26m (I was pg with DS2) and within about six weeks he had completely forgotten that he had ever bf at all hmm At this age they adapt fairly quickly.

That said, OP, in your situation I think you need to choose today whether you are going to force weaning, in which case you just have to say it is all gone, get DH to do bedtime, wear pyjamas buttoned up to the neck, etc ... or that you are happy to tandem feed, in which case research that, and safe co-sleeping with a toddler and a newborn, etc.

Good luck!

NomDeClavier Mon 27-May-13 18:53:42

10w with DC2 and facing a similar dilemma with 25mo DS as well. I have no advice but would be interested to see how you get on. I was very keen to let him wean himself but I'm so bloody knackered I don't know how I'm going to do it.

redwellybluewelly Mon 27-May-13 19:03:03

You may find some answers by looking for a book about tandem feeding, is there any particular reason why you don't want to tandem feed? The people I know who've done it have had some veru positive things to say about it including the toddler helping to reduce engorgement ans balanve out supply, encourage bonding and also prevent such bad baby blues (although rhat I appreciate is very circumstantial).

Fwiw. My toddler is 34months, I fed her until she was 26 months, she still remembers feeding and we've had several conversations recently about baby in mummy's tummy having boobie milk.

I would honestly tjink about how your toddler may feel if you are going to be feeding 'the new baby' something which was a comfort to her and was perhaps not her choice to give up. I say that as gently as possible at 38weeks pg myself!

FirstTimeMum1980 Tue 28-May-13 09:41:29

Thanks for all the replies.

We tried it last night, and DD went to sleep with no problems!

We read lots of books and then just told her the milk was finished. She cuddled up and went to sleep. Guess we were both ready.

Just hoping we haven't left it too late, and she will be fine about new baby having milk in a few weeks.

fhdl34 Tue 28-May-13 22:02:50

Glad it went well, if only my dd would take it that well I 'd have less of a quandary about weaning her but she still loves her milkies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now