Talk

Advanced search

Falling asleep during night feeds

(11 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 26-May-13 22:29:22

DS is a week old and is feeding countless times in the night, also wanting to just suck for comfort/get to sleep.

I wake up and find him still in my arms, or half onto the bed and it terrifies me, I could smother him or he could fall between the small gap between cot and bed.

We have the cot next to bed, unfortunately not quite the same height.

I just can"t stay awake during the feeds though, i've tried feeding lying down but we can't get a good latch and it makes my nipples v sore. we also have a memory foam mattress topper, which i've heard isn't safe for co sleeping.

any tips ? what do you do?

lovemybabygirl Sun 26-May-13 22:39:31

My dd is 5 weeks, I also struggled to stay awake during night feeds especially those first few days after birth, now I make sure to turn a lamp on and read something/use the laptop whilst feeding. It also helps to get up and go to the toilet before a feed to wake yourself up a little or get something to eat.
Good luck and congrats grin

Startail Sun 26-May-13 22:53:06

Sort out safe co sleeping arangements and enjoy. Feeding, snoozing, feeding, cuddling and dozing dozingis the most wonderful part of Motherhood.

Feel blessed you have a child who will do it. DD1 wouldn't, she was an awful BFer and an awful fidgit. DD2 was such a relief, she fed, she dozed off in the croke of my arm and she kept still so I could sleep.

Startail Sun 26-May-13 22:54:06

that was meant to be underlined

PoppyWearer Sun 26-May-13 22:56:13

Congratulations!

I agree with the advice to have an iPhone or iPad handy and read. Mumsnet is a good place to find lots to read!

There's a long-running thread about staying awake for night feeds, I am now long past that although my DC2 still bloody wakes at nights and the lovely ladies on there will no doubt give you more advice!

Natmu Sun 26-May-13 23:01:40

The only thing that kept me sane/awake was my iPod with mn on it! I had trouble with the laying down feeding at first too but now DS2 is bigger he seems to find it a lot easier (he's nearly 9 months).

abi2790 Mon 27-May-13 05:42:19

I agree. Ds is almost 6 months and I'm still using mn on my phone to keep me awake.

spekulatius Mon 27-May-13 07:02:03

Agree with above but also, I sit up in bed with my back against wall, pillow behind back. Another pillow on my lap with baby on so if I fall asleep the baby will be the pillow. Can you stuff something down the ap between bed and cot? Because there is a time when you are too tired to read anything on phone, laptop...

fluffacloud Mon 27-May-13 07:12:07

Eating was the only way that I could stay awake in the first few weeks, something fat laden and full of sugar had the best results.

It does get easier, DD2 13mo is still waking 3-8 times a night (I am a human dummy) but feeding only takes a few mins and she winds herself thankfully!

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 27-May-13 20:14:55

Thanks everyone, I did stuff something down the gap but Dd has nicked it! I've also tried positioning myself so when I nod off my head cracks backwards and hits the bed frame!

I woke up this am with DS on my chest , which wasn't too alarming but I need to try out some of your suggestions

Dorisday13 Mon 27-May-13 20:22:37

Hi, agree totally with startail, get safe for cosleeping and its really really lovely smile and you'll get the most sleep that way too, for feeding lying down you can try propping up your boob with a muslin underneath to get a better angle iyswm, experiment in the day it is the most restful way to feed.
For us cosleeping was an inevitability because of my dd's persistent personality and my extremely poor tolerance for lack of sleep! Therefore I was determined it would be planned and following all the safety guidance out there! GL and congrats!! smileX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now