Talk

Advanced search

Breasts still engorged. When will it go down

(6 Posts)
Caterpillar0 Sat 25-May-13 12:01:19

My breasts are still very engorged and I have loads more milk than DD (10 days old) is managing. With DS the engorgement lasted 24 hours. Just wondering how normal it is to be so engorged for so long (or may be it isn't that long?) and when I can expect some relief

ArrowofApollo Sat 25-May-13 12:24:13

It sounds as though your baby's latch might need checking if you are still engorged. When are you next with the MW? Could you call a LLL leader or NCT breastfeeding counsellor who might be willing to see you?
Sorry on phone so can't do links but you could try hand expressing in the mean time. There are some good videos on you tube that may help you with good positioning and attachment.

ArrowofApollo Sat 25-May-13 12:25:01

Forgot to say congratulations on your new DD smile

Caterpillar0 Sat 25-May-13 13:42:38

Thanks
Can latch be wrong if the baby is getting enough? I feel she is being drowned in milk and will quite often spit up what looks like large amounts immediately after a feed. She is going 2-3 hours between feeds. Guess I should go along to a local bf session. Just awkward with a toddler in tow

5madthings Sat 25-May-13 13:43:56

My breasts too a while to settle, i had oversupply issues.

Can you see your midwife or yes bfeeding group to check latch etc.

Caterpillar0 Sat 25-May-13 13:58:35

Midwife coming tomorrow. She reckoned all was well latch wise last visit but I forgot to mention the fact that my boobs were exploding off my chest (I'm talking concrete jugs that splay as soon as bra removed and leak all night). I'm normally an a or b cup!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now