Talk

Advanced search

How to use frozen EBM without waste?

(4 Posts)
peanutMD Sat 25-May-13 11:53:24

DP and I are having our first night out since DD was born 12 Weeks ago, as my mum has offered to babysit on Friday night.

DD is still EBF with the exception of 3 bottles of breastmilk but last time I spent ages getting milk for 2 bottles and ended up pouring 1 down the sink.

So is there away other than defrosting the milk and decanting before I leave?

TwitchyTail Sat 25-May-13 14:16:02

If your DD can wait 5 minutes, freeze milk flat in one of the slim plastic pouches (eg Lansinoh), and then run under hot tap water - can defrost very quickly as needed.

PurplePidjin Sat 25-May-13 14:28:29

Ds is 6 months now but I've been back at work since he was 6 weeks (1 evening a week) I use Boots milk bags and freeze 2-3oz at a time. When we need some, we put it in a bowl and pour boiling water from the kettle over which takes around 2 minutes. By the time dp has rinsed out the bottle with boiling water it's ready, just give the bag a shake and be careful because the outside of the bag gets hot. There's still some waste but that's more because he doesn't like bottles much! I would have 2oz prepped and be prepared to "waste" it, then defrost more as needed.

It lasts 6 months in the freezer so we now use it to make up his weetabix, baby rice etc and to thin purees if needed. 1/2 a weetabix for breakfast takes 1oz milk, the other oz gets used for rice with lunch or the next day. I express at work around 8:30pm so have continued that the other 6 nights a week now he goes down reliably at 6:30-7:00 smile

peanutMD Sat 25-May-13 17:19:27

Thanks smile

I freeze 2½oz at a time in a Boots milk bag, I thought you had to defrost in fridge.

Oh well that's that solved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now